- Get a rich, in-depth experience on this walking tour of Chennai’s ancient Mylapore neighborhood
- Learn about local culture and lifestyles from your knowledgeable guide
- Visit Kapaleeshwar Temple and San Thome Cathedral and witness time-honored religious traditions
- Travel like a local on a fun rickshaw ride and enjoy a traditional South Indian breakfast
- Small-group tour limited to 15 people ensures a more personalized experience
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Stroll through hidden lanes and hear stories from your knowledgeable guide about this ancient area, which predates the city by more than 2,000 years. Widely considered the point from where the rest of the city grew, it has kept alive many traditions and arts that Chennai is well-known for.
Enter Kapaleeshwar Temple to watch Brahmin priests, the interpreters of Hindu texts, as they go about their duties in the 400-year-old temple. Hear historical accounts of Hindu gods and learn why the locals walk clockwise around the temple.
Continue through Mylapore's streets and gain a deeper understanding of local lifestyle. Visit the home of a temple priest and hear about why people decorate their doorsteps with colorful kolams (paintings), as well as why women wear bindis on their foreheads.
Next, enjoy a fun rickshaw ride through the streets! Head to beautiful San Thome Cathedral, where you’ll learn how Christianity was brought to India by apostle Doubting Thomas, whose tomb you can see here.
Cap off your morning with a dosa (rice and lentil pancake) breakfast at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, and end your tour back at the starting location.
Such an enriching experience, very well-put together! The stories provided much needed context to the sights and sounds of enchanting Mylapore. Many thanks to our story teller, she made it an thoroughly amazing walk.
Guide excellent, tour very informative, great value for money