- Chiang Mai morning culture tour, including Buddhist temples
- Discover the cultural and spirit of Chiang Mai
- Visit the vibrant Kad Thon Payom market and enjoy a traditional Thai breakfast
- Enter the tunnels of Wat Umong and see the impressive Buddha images
- See the picturesque Wat Suan Dok, with a collection of snow-white Buddhist stupas
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off
- Small group ensures personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Continue on to Wat Umong, a 600-year-old Buddhist temple built in the foothills of Suthep Mountain and surrounded by forests. The most unique features of the temple are the tunnels that give the wat its name (umong is the Thai word for "tunnel"). Inside the temple, you'll see an impressive image of a fasting Buddha along with a large stupa (a mound-like structure filled with Buddhist artifacts). Keep your eyes open for the hundreds of Buddhist proverbs in English and Thai posted on trees throughout the grounds.
Then visit Wat Suan Dok, a 14th-century temple built in a forest grove for Phra Sumana Thera, a visiting monk from Sukhothai. The striking, white bell-shaped temple boasts a 20-foot (6-meter) Buddha. Wat Suan Dok is special because of its large prayer hall and the sides of the chapel, which are open instead of completely enclosed. Learn more about Buddhism by chatting with a Buddhist monk through the temple’s Monk Talk program.
This is a must do tour, great value for money. The guide was excellent and it is was great to not only learn about the culture but also to exerience a small part of it!
Enjoyable morning and friendly guide. Thai breakfast was fine. Interesting to see the monks start their day, but this tour may not be for everyone.