- Architecture cruise down the historic Chicago River
- Discover all three branches of the Chicago River with your guide, an expert in architecture
- Enjoy the best vantage point to admire the distinct city skyline and admire world-famous architecture
- See more than 40 buildings including the John Hancock Center, the Wrigley Building and the Aon Center
- Discover the major events that helped shape the architectural history of Chicago
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Chicago skyline from Navy PierPhoto by: Robert B
United States of America, 05 2016
- Architecture River CruisePhoto by: tfreimarck
- SurroundedPhoto by: Jensine D
- at the chicago riverPhoto by: Guillermo R
- Run Times Chicago ...Photo by: Ann S
- The fountain while doing boat ...Photo by: Divya G
- Chicago Apartment Building.Photo by: Graham W
- Chicago Architecture cruisePhoto by: Cindi K
- Architecture cruisePhoto by: Cindi K
- Our view from the river of ...Photo by: Patricia L
- ReflectionsPhoto by: Diane K
- Chicago BoatingPhoto by: Patrick L
- The Wills Tower formally the ...Photo by: MICHAELE H
- Corn Cob TowersPhoto by: Christos K
- Great View of the SkylinePhoto by: Christos K
- Tour of buildings from harborPhoto by: labmagic
- Building on tourPhoto by: labmagic
- Chicago Boat TourPhoto by: Diane R
- architectural tourPhoto by: NIRAJ K
- architectural tourPhoto by: NIRAJ K
What You Can Expect
Board your river cruise boat and find a comfortable seat, there are options on several decks, and a restroom and sometimes a full bar are available on the boat. Listen as your knowledgeable guide, an architecture expert, gives you an introduction to the city's famous architectural reputation.
Along the scenic 75-minute route, see buildings by world-famous architects including Mies van der Rohe, Helmut Jahn and Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. A boat on the river is the best vantage point to admire the distinct city skyline.
Pass by more than forty distinctive buildings, including the the Aon Center, the John Hancock Center, the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) the Wrigley Building, and the IBM Building. Listen as your guide recounts the two major events that helped shape the architectural history of the city. Learn about how the invention of balloon-frame construction revolutionized how homes were built, and hear the dramatic story of Chicago's rise from the Great Fire of 1871. Both of these milestones led Chicago to become one of the cradles of modern American architecture.
Your cruise ends at its starting point.
Please see the Itinerary section below for a full list of buildings on the tour.
- Navy Pier
- Lake Point Tower
- Aon Center
- John Hancock Center
- Cityfront Center
- Illinois Center
- NBC Tower
- Chicago Tribune Tower
- London Guarantee Building333 North Michigan Building
- 401 North Michigan
- Wrigley Building
- 35 East Wacker
- Leo Burnett Building
- IBM Building
- Marina City
- • RR Donnelley Center
- • LaSalle-Wacker Building
- • 222 North LaSalle
- • Central Office Building
- Merchandise Mart
- 333 West Wacker, Montgomery Ward Complex
- River Cottages, Merchandise Mart
- Fulton House
- 225 West Wacker
- Boeing World Headquarters
- Civic Opera Building
- AT&T Corporate Center
- USG Building
- Riverside Plaza
- Citicorp Center
- Willis Tower (Sears Tower)
- Chicago Board of Trade
- Central US Post Office
- US Post Office Central Processing and Distribution Center
- 311 South Wacker
- River City
Great expirience! Great city! Great guide!
High marks for our guide, Sarah, who was incredibly well informed and quick with her buildings-info. A very pleasant river boat trip.
My hopes for a nice day faded as it was very foggy. Very foggy. You couldn't see the back of the boat. But the crew and guide rose to the occasion and as the trip progressed the fog lifted and by the time we got to the Sears tower, you could see all of it. Kevin was a terrific guide and very knowledgeable about Chicago history and folklore. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and would recommend it highly, and don't be discouraged by poor visibility.
This tour is Not to be missed while visiting Chicago...Susan our tour guide was excellent and explained the history and important facts of the buildings..
Fun,informative. The guide, Jake, knew his stuff. He was friendly and had a great sense of humor. This was our top tourist attraction during our stay
Great way of seeing more of Chicago's past and future. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and humorous. I highly recommend it
Very good tour with an excellent guide.
This was a great cruise. It covered a lot of architecture and history of the city. A must do.
Tour guide was awesome!