Spend the day getting close to nature on this Kaikoura Whale Watching tour from Christchurch. Travel by road through the rolling hill country of North Canterbury, enjoying the beauty of its rural pastoral scenes, to Kaikoura where mountains meet sea (approx 3-hours by coach). Kaikoura is world renowned for the variety of marine mammals which can be seen, not least of all the giant sperm whales and the acrobatic Dusky Dolphins.
- Take a scenic TranzCoastail rail journey from Kaikoura to Christchurch
- Join a whale watching tour in Kaikoura and see giant sperm whales, dolphins and seals
- Visit a fur seal colony
- Enjoy an optional lunch at a local restaurant
- Local guide
- Plenty of photo opportunities
- Hotel pickup and drop off from centrally located Christchurch hotels
What You Can Expect
On arrival in Kaikoura you will be transferred to a whale watch tour by boat. On the tour you may view the giant sperm whale and often other whale species, dolphins, seals and the Royal Albatross. Following the tour, lunch has been arranged at the Craypot Cafe and Bar. There will be the opportunity this afternoon to visit a seal colony where fur seals may be viewed at close quarters .
Return to Christchurch by train, the TranzCoastal is one of the world's most scenic train journeys. See wildlife and stunning rugged coastline in the comfort of your train carriage.