Make a date with the worlds smallest, rarest and friendliest dolphins only on Akaroa Harbour. There is only one place on the planet where you can swim with Hector Dolphins also known as the New Zealand Dolphin and that is the beautiful sheltered Akaroa Harbour.
- Swim with the rare and beautiful Hector's dolphins on this once in a lifetime experience
- Enjoy a 2-hour cruise by a heated jet powered catamaran
- Receive a 30-minute briefing on how to interact with the dolphins before spending 1-hour with these beautiful creatures
- Includes wetsuit, mask and snorkel equipment
- Small and intimate experience, only 10 swimmers permitted per vessel
What You Can Expect
Akoroa Harbour is a sheltered harbor, a flooded crater of an extinct volcano surrounded by awe-inspiring volcanic cliffs. With a group limit of 10 people per vessel the Akaroa swimming with dolphins tour means it will be an even more intimate experience.
The two-hour dolphin tour is very popular due to the limited number of passengers permitted per departure. Book now to avoid disappointment.
You will be guaranteed a safe and memorable dolphin swim.
The tour operator was the first cruise boat company in the world to get the coveted Green Globe 21, an international program to ensure best environmental practices.
Dolphin Sightseeing Guarantee - If you see dolphins but for some reason do not get to swim with them then receive a part refund. NZ$100 refund if no dolphins are found and a NZ$50 refund if dolphins found but you are unable to swim with them. In the last 12 months we saw dolphins on 98% of our cruises and had successful swims on 81%.
- All crew are highly trained. This means that you'll get a great briefing on how to interact with the dolphins and what to expect prior to your journey. They'll also give you safety instructions to allow you to enjoy your experience. If you are new to snorkeling and use of a wetsuit your crew will be on hand to help you out.
- All equipment is provided including wetsuit, masks and snorkel. You only have to bring a swimming costume and a towel. With hot showers available.
- The vessel is a heated, covered, jet powered catamaran. It's safer for you and the dolphins because there are no propellers. It's also heated so after your swim you can warm up quickly in the cabin.
The drive was pretty to the small town of Akaroa. We arrived, and it was an overcast drizzly morning. By the time we got out on the water, the sun came out and the clouds cleared away. We sighted 10-15 dolphins, and were able to get out of the boat twice. The second time, the dolphins were more interested and started swimming through the group. It was fun vocalizing in the water through our snorkels to attract the dolphins. When we got back to the dock, the clouds came back and it started raining hard. We had the perfect window to go out. And the entire staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend the hot water poured into the back of our wetsuit! :-)
Very friendly and interesting staff. We would recommend the company to anyone wishing to experience the dolphins.