- Royal-themed day trip to North Zealand including a tour of Frederiksborg Castle
- Explore Frederiksborg Castle and learn about flamboyant King Christian IV who once lived here
- Walk through rooms like the Coronation Chapel and then stroll through the castle’s French Baroque gardens with a guide
- Stop for photos outside Fredensborg Castle, the summer residence of the Danish royal family
- Spend time at leisure in Elsinore and visit UNESCO-listed Kronborg Castle, if you wish
What You Can Expect
When you arrive at regal Frederiksborg Castle -- Hillerød’s star attraction -- admire the building’s Dutch-Renaissance façade, and then head inside for a walking tour with your guide. Hear tales of kings Frederik II and Christian IV, who made the castle their home, while admiring the jaw-droppingly lovely interior.
Explore rooms like the Coronation Chapel and the extravagant Riddeshalen banquet hall, before passing through the Marble Gallery, seeing its marble arches dripping with ornamentation. The castle’s grounds are equally spectacular and its French Baroque-style gardens can easily vie for star status. Soak it all up on a walk around outside, following in the footsteps of Danish royalty.
Leave the castle in the early afternoon and take a break in Hillerød for lunch (own expense), before traveling by coach to Fredensborg Castle, set on the shore of Lake Esreum. Stop for photos outside the Italian Baroque castle, hearing of its use as a summer home for the Danish royal family, and then continue your journey south to the town of Elsinore (Helsingør).
Spend time at leisure in the town, perhaps visiting the UNESCO-listed Kronborg Castle (own expense), where Shakespeare’s Hamlet was set. Alternatively, explore the town itself, admiring its delightful Gothic churches and historical houses.
Return to Copenhagen in the late afternoon, finishing your tour at the start point.
The meeting point was NOT IN the square but alongside it and a bit difficult to find if you were late in arriving!! However it was brilliant the guide was good not excellent, enjoyed the day greatly.
Comfortable bus, but our tour guide was new and was not very knowdedgeable or interesting to listen to. We broke from the group and explored castles on our own.