- Day-trip to Chrissoskalitissa Monastery and Elafonissi Island from Chania in Crete
- Travel by air-conditioned coach to the west side of Crete on a full-day trip
- Explore Chrissoskalitissa Monastery with your guide and learn about its 'golden step'
- Spend time at leisure on Elafonissi Island, admiring its rare flora and fauna or swimming in the sea
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from central Chania hotels included
What You Can Expect
The name of the monastery translates as ‘golden step,’ referencing a Greek legend about the steps that lead to its entrance: the top step is said to be made from gold, but only can be seen as such by those who have a pure heart. Head up the steps and explore inside with your guide, learning about its history. Hear how it was built during a time of Venetian rule and acted as a shelter for fishermen before becoming a monastery.
Board your coach again and continue to island of Elafonissi, a tiny island off Crete’s far southwestern tip. Only 328 feet (100 meters) from the coast, the island is close enough to be reached on foot from Crete – the water is no higher than an adult’s knee!
With pink-hued sands lining the crystalline sea, Elafonissi is a little piece of paradise just begging to be enjoyed. Spend time at leisure on the idyllic island, lounging on its beaches, swimming in the sea, finding a café for lunch or taking a walk around. Besides its picture-perfect beaches, the island is known for an abundance of rare vegetation and wildlife; you can find cedar trees and lilies here that grow nowhere else in Europe.
At the pre-arranged time, meet your guide back at the meeting point, and hop back on board your comfortable bus for the way back to your hotel.