- Discover the Tiwi indigenous culture on a full-day tour from Darwin to Bathurst Island
- Visit the island's museum with its displays of Dreamtime stories depicted through Tiwi art
- Take part in a traditional smoking ceremony
- Enjoy billy tea and totem dancing with Tiwi ladies
- Learn the ancient rituals of Tiwi burial ground
- Round-trip flights included
What You Can Expect
Your tour takes you to the island’s museum, where you’ll see traditional Tiwi art depicting the Aborigines' Dreamtime stories. You'll also visit the mission precinct church, designed in traditional Tiwi style.
Then visit the Tiwi art center, where you'll have the opportunity to purchase Tiwi art if you wish, before relaxing with billy tea (campfire tea) and damper (bread cooked in a campfire) with a group of Tiwi ladies. With insightful commentary provided by your guide, watch Tiwi totem dances, and hear the meaning behind the traditional smoking ceremony which will be performed for you.
Your time on Bathurst Island also includes a visit to a Tiwi burial site, where the complex rituals of the island’s burial poles (known as Pukamani poles) will be explained. If conditions are right, your visit might also include a refreshing swim in a local waterhole. You will also receive a boxed lunch of sandwiches and fruit to enjoy along the way.
When you day comes to an end, you’ll be returned to the airstrip for your flight back to Darwin.