- Discover the Tiwi indigenous culture on a full-day tour from Darwin to Bathurst Island
- Visit the island's museum with its displays of Dreamtime stories depicted through Tiwi art
- Take part in a traditional smoking ceremony
- Enjoy billy tea and totem dancing with Tiwi ladies
- Learn the ancient rituals of Tiwi burial ground
- Round-trip flights included
What You Can Expect
Once you arrive, visit a local museum and Tiwi art center for an introduction to Nguiru culture and the chance to purchase Tiwi art inspired by Dreamtime stories. Get a sense of traditional Tiwi building style at the local mission precinct church.
Chat with local community members while enjoying the campfire staples of billy tea and damper bread, and observe traditional rituals including a totem dance and smoking ceremony as your guide shares insights into these long-standing customs. You’ll also visit a local burial ground and learn about the complex spiritual rites involving brightly colored Pukamani burial poles.
Midday, enjoy a boxed picnic lunch and take a refreshing dip in a natural swimming hole (conditions permitting). In the late afternoon, say farewell to your hosts and enjoy aerial views of the Tiwi Islands on the flight back to Darwin.
EXCELLENT! Thank you to all concerned. An enlightening experience
DR NIGEL C M Australia
Great cultural experience. Local guides were excellent. Whole trip very well organised and should be a must with any visit to Darwin
Well worth doing
Very informative tour, the aboriginal guides were very eager to explain their unique heritage and traditions. Because of the small size of the tour group, there was a much more personal feeling to the tour than other tours.