- Day tour from Roseau to the northwestern coast of Dominica
- Float down the Indian River by rowboat
- Visit 18th-century Fort Shirley inside Cabrits National Park
- Enjoy a picnic lunch in the national park, admiring the views of the Caribbean Sea
- Go for a swim or work on your tan at Purple Turtle Beach
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
For your first 1.5 hours, float down the river in an 18-foot (5.5-meter) wooden rowboat, traveling past mangroves and looking for local wildlife such as egrets, iguanas and hummingbirds. Your guide, while paddling, will tell you about the native animals and plant life along the river, and point out places where scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest were filmed.
Back on land, continue driving just a couple of miles (3 km) up the coast to Cabrits National Park, which sits on a small peninsula jutting into the Caribbean Sea. Visit the ruins of Fort Shirley, a former garrison built by the British in the 18th century for defense purposes. While learning about the fort’s history, you can also enjoy its lovely views of Prince Rupert Bay and the town of Portsmouth.
Enjoy a picnic lunch here (sandwiches, fruit and bottled water) before making the 5-minute journey to Purple Turtle Beach, to end your day trip with roughly an hour of relaxation on the black-sand beach.
Your tour then finishes with a drop-off at your hotel in Roseau.