- Full-day trip to Connemara and Galway City
- Enjoy a contrast of sightseeing opportunities - from the rugged beauty of Connemara, to the vibrant Galway City
- Take photos at Kylemore Abbey, amid spectacular surroundings
- 1.5-hour boat ride around Killarey Harbour, Ireland's only fjord
- Explore charismatic Galway City at your own pace
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Inagh Valley bjöd ...Photo by: ake.thysell
- Maison typique du ConnemaraPhoto by: Stéphane C
France, 08 2015
- Quiet man bridgePhoto by: Stéphane C
France, 08 2015
- Paysage du ConnemaraPhoto by: Stéphane C
France, 08 2015
- Kylemore AbbeyPhoto by: Stéphane C
France, 08 2015
- Mouton IrlandaisPhoto by: Maria Angeles S
- Galway cityPhoto by: ake.thysell
- Höga berg omger Killarey ...Photo by: ake.thysell
- Connemara Lady tog oss runt i ...Photo by: ake.thysell
- Båttur på Killarey ...Photo by: ake.thysell
- Kylemore AbbeyPhoto by: ake.thysell
- Maam Cross bronPhoto by: ake.thysell
- Turen i Connemaraområdet ...Photo by: ake.thysell
- Unspoiled Connemara RegionPhoto by: James W B
- Lots of sheep!Photo by: James W B
- The busPhoto by: titou34110
- Région du ConnemaraPhoto by: titou34110
- in Connemara at Sheep ...Photo by: Helen V
- Connemara and Galway City Day ...Photo by: Bernie
- POS and quot;motor coach and ...Photo by: Bernie
What You Can Expect
After a break at Maam Cross, your Connemara and Galway City Day Trip will continue through the Inagh Valley, before reaching Kylemore Abbey, a former Benedictine monastery and one of Ireland’s most distinctive buildings. Now used primarily as a nun’s retreat, Kylemore Abbey enjoys a tranquil location, nestled at the foot of the formidable Duchruach Mountain on the northern shore of Lough Pollacappul. Have your camera ready to capture unforgettable shots of the abbey in the peaceful solitude of its stunning surroundings.
Originally built in 1867, the abbey is again steeped in history, including tragedy, Royal visits. Entry to the abbey, the Walled Gardens and the Gothic Church is included during winter months only (November - March). During summertime (April - October), you'll enjoy a boat trip around the Killary Fjord, Ireland's only fjord, to experience the unspoiled splendor of its landscape. Marvel at all the mussel beds in the fjord as you look at Mweelrea, the highest mountain on the west coast of Ireland. You will not be disappointed with this natural wonder of the world.
In the late afternoon, you'll visit the postcard-perfect village of Leenane, where the 1990 film “The Field” was filmed, before heading into lively Galway City. Here you’ll have approximately one hour to sightsee at leisure, so why not take a walk down to Galway Harbour (Claddagh)? The peaceful harbor area is the entrance to famous Galway Bay, and is perfect for a spot of relaxation before returning to Dublin.
Loved it ! The boat trip scenery was beautiful. Liked the Quiet Man bridge and the Abbey also. Ended in Galway city and not Galway Bay , there was nothing really to see there. Overall all was well worth it !!!
great tour and great guide !
Loved this tour. When we told some folks in Dublin we were heading to Connemara, they were not excited for us saying it was a barren, un-beautiful area of Ireland. I beg to differ. I thought the terrain was exceptionally beautiful and unspoiled. The boat ride up the fjord was really exciting and you could just picture the vikings traveling down the waterway hundreds of years before and seeing this land for the first time just as we did. Gab, our guide was exceptional. He was funny, enthusiastic and very knowledgeable not to mention he sang us a few Irish favorites to keep us entertained on the drive back. He made our trip very special and personal. Great memories.- The Brennan Family - USA.
While it was a long day, we had a great time with Sarah as our driver and tour guide on this trip. The small bus was full and the weather was typically Irish, but the scenery and tour stops were perfect. I did enjoy the boat ride on Killary Fjord the best.
A huge thank you to Sarah and the tourist office for contacting us within 30 minutes of leaving the bus when we returned about a package we had left on the bus. We were able to get back to the tourist office and receive it that night before they closed.
We were a small group of 7 n Bud our driver guide is wonderful. He was caring enough to ask if we could take twists n turns so drove with extra care ( I can't take turns but thank heaven for travel pills as well) n took us places not on itinerary as we went along. So we got to see a lot more than a set itinerary. Really appreciated that. We had great experience touring with extreme Ireland thru viator.
Great excursion! The boat ride on the fjord was perfect.
I would like to thank Jim who gave me the taste and history of Ireland. Thanks to Viator I had a spectacular day in this special heart of Ireland. I have always been backpacking so I hesitate to book at first.
No regrets: in the contrary! Would love to do it again!
Kylemore Abbey is beautiful, you have to see it. Galway is a fun city with lots of shopping and music. The best part of the tour was watching the sheep herding and bogging. Tour guide Bud is the sweetest person you'll ever meet. This was the best tour of my vacation to Ireland.
Thanks to Laura Gunning (Extreme Ireland), this trip was the highlight of our 10 days in Ireland! My husband and I traveled w/my 79yo mom and Laura paid special attention to her, took her under her wing when mom couldn't join us for things. Because we were there in Feb, the river cruise was out, but lucky us…the trip to sheep farm was ON! We hiked down to bog, saw sheepherding demo, and got to hold and feed baby lambs. We'll never forget it. Stops were well planned and we saw SO MUCH!! Highly recommend this tour. You might want to make sure "Extreme Ireland" is the tour co. that takes you…and ask for Laura! It was a memory-making trip for us.