- Full-day excursion with Taieri Gorge Railway journey and sightseeing in the Otago Peninsula, from Dunedin
- Travel aboard the Taieri Gorge Railway for spectacular mountain scenery of New Zealand’s South Island
- Admire the Renaissance Revival architecture of Dunedin Railway Station
- Stroll along the sandy beaches of the Otago Peninsula during your afternoon tour
- Pickup and drop-off available from Dunedin hotels or Port Chalmers cruise port
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 19 people ensures customized attention from your guide
What You Can Expect
Your train steams along the Taieri Plains and into the mountains, chugging over bridges and viaducts that span spectacular ravines such as the Taieri Gorge. The train slows down at especially scenic spots so that you can snap some photos. Enjoy a stop or two along the route where you can stretch your legs and enjoy the scenery.
As your train maneuvers along the curves of the railway carved into the rugged mountains. Your train operator provides lively commentary about the history of the region and its wilderness. In Pukerangi, you have about 15 minutes to walk around while the engine is switched for the return journey.
Travel in a comfortable, heated carriage that is equipped with large windows and restrooms; open-air platform cars offer unobstructed views. If you want a bite to eat, the onboard cafe sells a variety of sandwiches, snacks and beverages.
Upon your return to Dunedin, your guide picks you up in a comfortable minivan to take you around the Otago Peninsula. Your knowledgeable guide takes you to some of the most beautiful beaches in New Zealand, allowing time at each place to dig your toes into the sand. Your guide returns you to Dunedin in the late afternoon to end your tour.