- Small-group tour of Chena Hot Springs Resort and the northern lights from Fairbanks and the North Pole
- Explore the resort’s Aurora Ice Museum, home to intricate carved sculptures and an ice bar
- Soak in the outdoor hot mineral springs, hot tubs or indoor pool
- Witness the aurora borealis at one of the best viewing locations in the area, known for its high concentration of lights and clear skies
- Snacks, meals and additional beverages are available for purchase at the resort’s Aurora Café
- Round-trip transport from Fairbanks and North Pole hotels provided
What You Can Expect
Once you arrive at Chena Hot Springs Resort, enjoy an array of activities as you wait for the prime time to view the northern lights. First, follow your guide to the Aurora Ice Museum, which is crafted from more than 1,000 tons of ice and snow. Kept at a cool 25 degrees F (-7 degrees C), the museum houses intricate ice sculptures created by world- champion ice carvers Steve and Heather Brice. Their two-story observation tower includes a circular staircase, life-size jousters on horseback, an ice outhouse and more. If you’d like, purchase a drink served in an ice-carved martini glass inside the museum’s bar, where you can relax on caribou fur–covered stools and warm your hands by the ice fireplace.
After wandering through the cool museum, don your bathing suit and enjoy entrance to the resort’s legendary namesake hot springs. The revitalizing mineral water lake soothes muscles with its warm temperatures, which averages 106 degrees F (41 degrees C) year-round. You can also soak under the stars in an outdoor hot tub, or head indoors for the heated pool. Between your evening activities, you can always slip away to the Aurora Café or the historic Chena Hot Springs Resort Restaurant, where you can purchase meals, snacks or beverages.
When the conditions are right, bundle up and join your expert guide for a small-group outing to view the aurora borealis. Your guide leads the small group around Chena Hot Springs, one of the best places on earth to witness the green and purple illuminations loop across the night sky. Wait and witness the celestial wonder with hot beverages in the late evening, when viewing opportunities are the highest. The lights are also visible inside the cafe's Aurora room, which serves as a comfortable and warm location for viewings.
After taking in the northern lights, your guide will return you to your hotel along with a personalized certificate commemorating your viewing experience and time at Chena Hot Springs Resort.