- Day trip to the hilltop towns of Assisi and Cortona from Florence
- Learn about St Francis of Assisi and St Clare, who both lived in Assisi
- Visit the Basilica of San Francesco and Convent of Santa Chiara on a guided walking tour of Assisi
- Stop for a look inside the 9th-century church at Santa Maria degli Angeli
- Enjoy an afternoon of free time in the Tuscan town of Cortona, setting of Under the Tuscan Sun
- Sightsee around Cortona independently and look out for sights such as Palazzo Communale
What You Can Expect
Follow in St Francis’ footsteps on a walking tour of the town and visit the Basilica of San Francesco with its famous Giotto frescoes. Gaze in wonder at the artwork and learn about their medieval depictions of St Francis’ life in Assisi. The town was also the home of St Clare, who became one of St Francis’ first true followers. Visit the Convent of Santa Chiara dedicated to her, and then make your way back to your coach to leave Assisi.
On the town’s outskirts lies Santa Maria degli Angeli, home to a beautiful 9th-century church that’s believed to be the place of worship once favored by St Francis. Take some time to wander around the aisles with your tour leader, and then continue back into Tuscany.
In the early afternoon, stop in the hilltop town of Cortona, famous as the setting of Under the Tuscan Sun, a 2003 movie based on a memoir of the same title. Use your free time in Cortona to find a restaurant for lunch (own expense), or perhaps sightsee independently. Landmarks to look out for include the imposing Palazzo Comunale and Santa Margherita Sanctuary, a place of worship that was built to celebrate Cortona’s patron saint.
Meet your tour leader at the prearranged time, and then travel back through the Tuscan hills to central Florence where your tour finishes.
Please note: the order of the visits to Assisi and Cortona are subject to change on the day of your tour.
Absolutely fantastic! There were only six of us that day so it was very relaxed and the guide could pay attention to all of us. One thing though, the meeting place described on the confirmation was very confusing. We ended up waiting outside Santa Maria Novella train station but actually the tour guide was across the street in front of Burger King. Maybe drop the whole "outside of Santa Maria Novella station" from the description of the meeting place and just say in front of Burger King.