- 1.15-hour Accademia Gallery (Galleria dell’Accademia) tour in Florence
- Skip the line with your fast-track entrance ticket to Florence’s Accademia Gallery
- Learn about prestigious Renaissance artwork from an expert guide
- See Michelangelo’s Prigioni, San Matteo and the statue of David
- Hear of the history behind David, an icon of Florence
- Admire works by artists such as Botticelli, Lippi and Orcagna
Recent Photos of this Tour
What You Can Expect
As you walk around inside, listen to stories and history about the wealth of artwork contained within the Accademia Gallery’s walls. Works by Renaissance superstar Michelangelo are given pride of place inside the museum, and your guide’s commentary focuses on the much-loved Florentine artist. Admire his famously unfinished sculptures – Prigioni and San Matteo – and then gaze in awe at the statue of David that dominates the central gallery.
Ever the crowd pleaser, David was created by Michelangelo when he was just in his twenties, fresh from the glory of carving La Pietà. Sculpted entirely from local Carrara marble, the statue of the nude biblical hero is incredible to behold with life-like veins and muscles carved to precision as had never been done before. Standing at a lofty height of 17 feet (5.17 meters), the statue of David became a symbol of freedom and independence for the city.
After admiring David, visit other rooms with your guide to learn about other Renaissance artists such as Botticelli and Lippi. When your tour finishes, you can stay inside the museum for as long as you wish, discovering collections of artwork from the Middle Ages as well as the Renaissance. The Accademia Gallery is also home to the Museum of Musical Instruments, which is worth visiting independently.
Excellent tour with very knowledgable guide.
A a wonderful tour with a very knowledgable guide who explained all the details of the period. Highly recommend this tour. The sculpture of David will bring a tear to your eye, amazing.