- 3-hour walking tour of Thessaloniki's markets with an expert local guide
- See the Byzantine architecture and contemporary buildings as you walk
- Enjoy a coffee and some street food during the tour
- Visit lesser-known gems such as Louloudadika flower market and Modiano, a food market
- Meet local craftspeople at the Coppersmith's Arcade near Panagia Chalkeon
- Explore the atmospheric streets around Ladadika, the city’s old Jewish quarter
What You Can Expect
Walk through the bustling shopping streets to Louloudadika, a colorful flower market thronged with sidewalk cafes and shops, and then admire the old Turkish baths of Giahoudi Hamam. Browse stalls heaving with mounds of colorful vegetables and fruit at Modiano and Kapani markets, and hear of their history from your guide. Both food markets are believed to have operated since the 12th century.
After picking up some koulouri (street-food snacks), continue to Panagia Chalkeon, a gorgeous church that’s one of Thessaloniki’s gems, and wander through the old Coppersmith’s Arcade to chat with the local coppersmiths about their time-honored trade. Amble through an area known as the ‘student’s market,’ and then explore Paliatzidika market, where shops and stalls line the alleys and basements around Philippou Street. Bit Pazar is nearby, so head there next, and discover the delights of a market that’s been trading since 1928.
Stroll to Ladadika, where the last remains of Thessaloniki’s Jewish quarter can be found. Stroll around the atmospheric paved alleyway while learning about its history, and then bid your guide goodbye as your tour finishes.
Our guide was brilliant, and took us everywhere and knew so much about the area, the only reason I am not giving it a five is because the location instructions are so confusing, and we found the meeting place very difficult to find. But she was lovely and even took us over to the bus station after the tour so that we wouldn't get lost!