Read what other Viator.com travelers think about the 8-Day Best of Guatemala Tour: Antigua, Pacaya Volcano, Lake Atitlan and Tikal Ruins. What they loved, what they liked and what they think could be improved, it's all here to help you make the most of your next trip.
The itinerary is well designed. Every place is worth visiting. All the drivers and guilds always showed up on time. We didn't feel unsafe at all throughout the trip. Camino Real Antigua and Hotel Atitlan are very good accommodation choices. But there are some problems with their trip quality assurance:
1) Our guide didn't take us to Santo Domingo Monastery in Antigua. We spent more time in Azotea Coffee Farm watching video.
2) Our guide didn't take us to Santiago de Atitlan. He took us to Santa Catarina and Santa Antonio.
3) Our guide didn't take to Iximché.
4) Our local guide at Tikal explained a lot about other acropolis, temples...but didn't explain anything at the most seen Grand Plaza.
5) Hotel Peten Esplendido was not as nice as other accommodations.
6) Not agency's issue...it's a nice hike onto the top of Pacaya Volcano, but we didn't get to see any lava flowing.
And I want to say our local guide at Yaxha did a great job. Too bad I forgot his name.
This tour was a big disappointment. I have seen the ruins of Mexico including the Sun and Moon pyramids, Palenque, Uxma and Chitza-Itza. Those ruins are fairly well preserved and restored, many with some of the original colorings and reliefs intact. Tikal was ok, but had none of the original colors and reliefs. Our guide there spoke great English but he didn't tell us anything about the traditions and rituals of the Mayan people who lived there. Yaxha was not interesting and Ixhimche wasn't worth going to at all. The only thing I enjoyed was our hotel in Antigua, its proximity to the market place, the boat ride across the lake and the Pacaya Volcano. Our tour guide that we had for the first 4 days was only 50% intelligible. We had to work very hard to understand him, unfortunately. I have taken many trips and have never felt like I wasted my money until now. It just was not worth the cost.