- Full-day trip from Guatemala City to Copán, an important city of the Mayan Empire
- Dine on a complimentary Guatemalan breakfast before crossing the border into Honduras
- Take a 2-hour guided tour of Copán’s Acropolis, Great Plaza, ball court and stelae
- Ponder the significance of the altars, stone sculptures and temples
- Visit the on-site museum and view intricate hieroglyphic stairway
- Discover the underground tunnels to view layers of past civilizations (own expense)
What You Can Expect
I definitely would not recommend this tour. First, our driver spoke VERY little English. Note, the driver IS different from the guide at Copan. The guide at Copan was very fluent in English; however, the driver, the person we spent the majority of the day with (all but the time at Copan) spoke very little English. This was frustrating for our group, to say the least.
Second, nowhere on viator’s website or any of the booking information does it say that you’ll be charged 10 Quetzales upon exiting Guatemala and 30 Quetzales upon entering Honduras. Fortunately, our group had the cash handy, but this is the kind of information that MUST be disclosed somewhere.
Lastly, our entire trip was underwhelming to say the least. Our time at Copan ruins was less than the 2 hours stated on the website; in fact, we spent only 1.5 hours at the ruins. We were not given the opportunity to “visit the on-site museum and see the excavated artifacts on display, or walk through the archeological tunnels underneath the Acropolis to view earlier stages of the immense Mayan Empire” as viator’s website says. Also, we had to ask another driver/guide (on a completely different tour) to intervene when our driver wanted to take us straight back to Guatemala City without taking us to the colonial town of San Jose del Copán to get lunch.
All in all, I would NOT recommend this tour. I highly enjoyed my short time at Copan, but this tour experience left much to be desired.