- 6-hour tour of Maligne Valley, from Jasper
- See the stunning limestone gorge and waterfalls in Maligne Canyon
- Find out from your expert guide why the Medicine Lake appears to vanish every year
- Choose from a boat cruise on Maligne Lake to Spirit Island or a guided hike along the lakeshore and forest trails
- Look for abundant wildlife in Jasper National Park, including bears, caribou, wolves, and bighorn sheep
- Enjoy several stops for short walks to stunning viewpoints and photo ops
What You Can Expect
After checking out Maligne Canyon, you’ll continue to drive to Medicine Lake, taking a gorgeous road that winds through a dramatic mountain and forest landscape. Medicine Lake is famous for ‘vanishing’ every summer, the result of an extensive underground karst system — one of the largest in the world.
From Medicine Lake you’ll follow the road to gorgeous Maligne Lake where you’ll have a choice of a boat cruise to Spirit Island or a 2-mile (3.2km) guided hike on an easy and level trail.
If you choose the hiking option, you’ll follow your guide on the Mary Schaffer Loop trail, which skirts the shore of Maligne Lake to a beautiful viewpoint with interpretive displays and benches before continuing into the trees and back to your starting point.
If you take the boat cruise, you’ll board a comfortable enclosed boat with large windows for a scenic tour on Maligne Lake. Your boat will stop at Spirit Island, a small gem in the lake, where you’ll have time for photos and a short stroll.
Throughout the day, your guide will explain the natural and human history of the area and will keep an eye out for the abundant wildlife that lives here. Sightings may include bear, deer, caribou, wolves, moose, bighorn sheep, bald eagles and osprey, among the many animals of Jasper National Park.
At the end of your tour, you will be returned to your Jasper hotel.
An excellent tour and our driver/guide was very informative.
This tour was very good. The guide was very informative and kept us informed about the tour as the day progressed. He loved his job and it showed. Beautiful country and worth doing.