- 3.5-hour rafting tour of Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau
- See the glacier from a totally unique perspective
- Your rafting guide will lead you through Class II and III rapids, making for a fun and exhilarating experience
- You choose if you'd like to help paddle or just sit back and enjoy the ride
- Alaskan-style snacks will be provided
- Suitable for all ages and no prior experience is required
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Your tour begins with a scenic drive up Mendenhall Valley. When you reach the shore of Mendenhall Lake, don protective raingear and a lifejacket, and board your raft. Each raft holds up to 12 and is rowed by an experienced guide. If you’re looking for a hands-on experience, you may join a paddle-raft team.
Glide across the iceberg-studded lake, marveling at the 1.5-mile-wide (2.4 km) glacier, and set course downstream on a connected river. The 6-mile (9.6-km) route combines winding stretches of water with Class II and III whitewater rapids. The rapids are perfectly safe – exciting for beginners and experienced rafters, and appropriate for all ages.
During the journey, encounter river features such as Tourist Trap, Moon Flats and Pin Ball Alley. Watch for the photographer on shore who will snap your picture, capturing the thrill of your adventure. The raft lasts approx. 1.5 to 2 hours.
When the river feeds into the lake and the rapids end, soak in the views of the riverbank, lush forests and 7,000-foot (2,134-meter) mountains rising above the valley floor. Learn about the natural history of the river, and keep your eyes open for bald eagles, birds nesting in rocky cliffs, black bears, otters and seals, and salmon during spawning season.
At the finish point, celebrate with an Alaskan-style snack and toast your adventure with a cup of Martha’s Mendenhall Madness (a strong wine cocktail) or hot cider. You can purchase the action photo of yourself as a lasting memento of a trip you’ll never forget.