- Cultural tour in Kathmandu
- Walk through the local markets, temples and courtyards of Durbar Square
- Discover Buddhist and Hindu traditions at Swayambhunath, the oldest Buddhist stupa in Nepal
- Learn about the culture, history and religion of Nepal from your knowledgeable guide
- Shop for fresh vegetables and enjoy a hands-on cooking experience in a local family’s home
- Chat with the locals over your Nepalese lunch
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people ensures a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
You’ll learn how this place is affectionately called ‘Monkey Temple’ by the locals, as there is a large troupe of monkeys guarding the hills and amusing visitors with tricks, such as sliding down the banisters of the main stairway to the temple.
From the hilltop setting, enjoy a beautiful bird’s-eye view of Kathmandu and the valley below before entering this mound-like structure.
Containing Buddhist and Hindu relics, typically the ashes of deceased, this temple is used as a place of meditation. As you explore the interior, you’ll be mesmerized by the wafts of incense, hypnotic chants of prayers and surreal sounds of ringing bells.
After being spiritually awakened, follow your guide on a stroll through the maze of backstreets to Durbar Square, where you’ll find numerous centuries-old temples, courtyards and markets selling crafts and fresh produce.
With some assistance from your guide, purchase your choice of vegetables, aromatic spices and any other ingredients you like (own expense), which you’ll use as ingredients for your home-cooked lunch. Once you’ve gathered everything, you’ll head to a local family’s home.
Your host family will reveal the secrets of Nepalese cooking as you enjoy a hands-on culinary experience in their kitchen. Then, relax and enjoy your meal while conversing with the locals with the help of your guide. After your meal, you’ll say goodbye and head back to your original departure point to conclude your tour.
One of the best tours we did. Did not expect this tour to be that good. Kathmandu is an awesome city and you get to see it when everything is quiet in the morning and when its pumping during the day.
Our guide was excellent. Very knowledgeable and delightful. interesting architecture and history.