- 3.5-hour Alaskan fishing cruise from Ketchikan
- Travel through the beautiful Inside Passage aboard the Aleutian Ballad
- Watch the crew prepare long-line barrel pots and 700-pound king crab pots
- See king crab, box crab, prawns, rockfish, eel, octopus and more as they’re hauled on deck
- Look for other wildlife like whales, sea lions and eagles
- Listen to amazing stories about life as a commercial fisherman in the wild waters of Alaska
- Choose one of several departure times, from early morning to mid-afternoon
What You Can Expect
Once you’re on board, have a seat in the heated and sheltered amphitheater on the lower deck, or take advantage of the views from the open-air upper deck. Your crew will then ‘tie loose’ and head away from the dock. While you make your way to the fishing grounds, stay warm with a cup of provided coffee, tea or hot chocolate, and learn a bit about the Aleutian Ballad’s history as a commercial fishing boat, including how it became famous on season two of Deadliest Catch, when the boat was hit by a 60-foot (18-meter) rogue wave and lived to tell the tale.
As the boat pulls up to the fishing station, watch the crew go to work baiting the fishing gear with salmon and squid and throwing the long-line barrel pots overboard. Then stare in wonder as sea creatures of all kinds are hauled up from the water and onto the deck of the boat: rockfish, gray cod, ratfish, wolf eel, Dungeness crab, box crab, octopus, prawn and more. Bering Sea king crab will also be hauled up in 700-pound (320-kg) crab pots.
After the crew expertly sorts through the catch, the fish and other marine life will be placed in a tank on the deck for your observation. Take photos and even touch some of them before they are released back into the water.
In addition to what comes up on board, other native wildlife may also be in the area — keep your eyes peeled for whales, porpoises, sea lions and eagles. After the crew has stowed all the fishing equipment, feel free to ask any questions while you head back to the dock — the crew loves to share stories about life at sea!
Great trip.Excellent info and the presenters did an outstanding job.we were lucky to have excellent weather. Having being able to sea all the eagles and crabs and the octopus.
Enjoyed the trip, the stories and the catch. I was concerned about getting seasick, as I am very susceptible, but no problem at all.