- Take a 2.5-hour bus and walking tour of Krakow’s Nowa Huta district
- Ride in a vintage communist-era minibus
- Learn about Nowa Huta's beginning as a model industrial center under communist rule
- Hear stories from your guide about the difficulties faced by workers and how they decided to revolt
- Use your 24-hour rental of an iPod nano to explore more of Krakow on your own
- Discover city sights like Wawel Hill and Kazimierz at your own pace, and learn about them with the iPod’s corresponding commentary
As you ride down the streets of Nowa Huta in your minibus, learn about the district’s origins: after World War II ended, the communist regime planned the suburb of Nowa Huta to be a location of heavy industry with a major steel factory. Hear how the district went from being a center of communist propaganda to a place of protest against Soviet control.
See examples of Nowa Huta’s characteristic architecture and hear interesting stories from your guide about the challenges faced in the district during the communist era. After your 2.5-hour tour, which includes 30 minutes of walking around the district, you’ll be taken to the tour operator’s local office in Old Town to pick up your iPod nano for your 24-hour rental.
Your rented iPod gives you an audio guide and do-it-yourself itinerary, all wrapped up into the tiny nano package! Created by local historians and tour guides, the information and audio commentary on the iPod include 87 points of interest around the city in Old Town, Kazimierz and Podgorze. You can see the local attractions that interest you and learn about Krakow’s rich history at your own pace; attractions include St Florian's Church, the National Museum, Wawel Hill, Royal Wawel Castle, the Saltwater district, the Church on the Rock, Old Synagogue and the New Jewish Cemetery.
When you pick up the iPod, you’ll also receive a charger, disposable headphones and an info pack with a list of sights and a map; the numbers on the list correspond to the recorded commentary on the iPod. Simply look at the map and list, choose an attraction, select that number on the iPod and be on your way!
After your 24-hour period, return the iPod to the same location where you picked it up.