- 4-hour tour of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Wieliczka Salt Mine from Krakow
- Discover one of the world’s oldest salt mines with a knowledgeable guide
- Wander through an underground labyrinth of salt-carved tunnels and chambers
- Hear about the history and legends of salt mining from your guide
- Enjoy a traditional miner's shot of vodka and receive a small gift made of salt
- Avoid the crowds with a late-afternoon or evening tour
- Small-group tour limited to 19 ensures a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Follow your guide down the 800 steps to the underground labyrinth mines, extending over nine levels and reaching 1,073 feet (327 meters) below the earth’s surface. On your narrated tour, you'll be amazed by the network of nearly 2,400 chambers connected with sidewalks that total 178 miles (287 km) in length.
See traces of mining activity, view sacred art relating to the history and legends of mining, and view statues, chandeliers, chapels and even an entire cathedral carved out of the rock salt by the miners. You’ll soon discover why Wieliczka is often referred to as the ‘Underground Salt Cathedral of Poland.’
Learn about the mine’s uses over the centuries, including during World War II, when the shafts were used by the Germans as an ad hoc facility for various war-related industries.
After about 2.5 hours underground, step into a traditional mining lift and return to the ground level and finish the tour with a traditional miner’s shot of vodka, just like the Polish miners would enjoy after a hard day's work in the mines. You'll also receive a small gift made of salt to take home with you. Then relax on the drive back to Krakow.
Loved our time in the mine!!! Amazing stories each step of the way!! I would love to post Picts but my iPhone froze and the pics aren't on my iPad. Sorry
We only 3 person in this small group! And I love my decision to have this evening tour while there's no crowd at all!
Site was magnificent!