- 6.5-hour layover tour in Windsor from either London Gatwick or London Heathrow Airport (minimum layover of 8 hours required)
- Enjoy a flexible itinerary and customize your own route, getting insider tips from your private driver
- See Windsor Castle – the Queen’s official home
- Watch soldiers marching along Windsor High Street for the Changing of the Guard ceremony
- Stroll along the famous Long Walk in Windsor Great Park
- Visit the historic town of Eton and see where Princes William and Harry went to school
What You Can Expect
The affluent town is best known as the site of Windsor Castle – the official residence of the Queen and a place well worth visiting (entry at your own expense). Covering an area of roughly 13 acres (5 hectares), Windsor Castle’s grounds include an impressive list of things to see, like the State Apartments and St George’s Chapel. Your guide will give you plenty of insider tips about the best areas of the castle to visit, should you wish to.
Windsor’s Changing of the Guard ceremony takes place daily, so you can try to catch it while exploring the town. Usually accompanied by a military band, soldiers march up the high street to Windsor Castle in colorful red tunics and bearskin hats, representing the pomp and ceremony of the British Royal Family that so intrigues visitors to England.
Near the town center is Windsor Great Park -- perfect for a walk or summer’s day picnic! Take a stroll along the famous Long Walk, a 2-mile (3-km) path bordered by symmetrical rows of beautiful trees and neat lawns.
Most itineraries include a drive to Eton, the historic little town just on the other side of the River Thames from Windsor. See Eton College, where Princes William and Harry studied, and browse the town’s endearing collection of independent shops. Alternatively, visit the nearby town of Runnymede, where the Magna Carta was sealed by King John in 1215.
Your independent Windsor tour finishes back at London Gatwick or Heathrow Airport, in time for your ongoing flight.