Numbers are limited to 18 on this small-group tour, ensuring personalized attention from a guide.
- Full-day Downton Abbey filming locations tour including Highclere Castle
- Leave London and travel to Oxfordshire to see a collection of sites used in the popular TV drama
- Hear anecdotes and gossip about the Downton Abbey series and characters such as Lady Mary
- Visit a farm near Cogges and explore the Cotswolds village of Bampton that was used as Downton village
- Explore the gardens and state rooms of Highclere Castle, seeing bedrooms, the smoking room and more
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 18 people ensures personalized attention at all times
What You Can Expect
Filmed mostly in and around Oxfordshire, the British period drama of Downton Abbey documents the dramas and scandals of the fictional Crawley family and their servants in the days leading up to and after the First World War. Hear insider gossip about characters such as Lady Mary, and discover little-known facts about the shooting locations included on your tour. Stop at a farm nestled in the hills near Cogges and enjoy a hot drink (own expense) in the farm’s rustic cafe before discovering a few of the farm’s filming locations.
Continue to Bampton in the Cotswolds, a quintessentially English village that was used extensively as Downton village throughout the entire series. On a walking tour, see the village church — the site of Lady Mary’s wedding to Matthew Crawley — and the house that was once used as the Crawley family home. Stroll along the main street, seeing shops used for filming as well as sights such as the fictional Grantham Arms pub.
Travel onward to continue to Highclere Castle, one of the best-known Downton filming locations, to explore with your guide. Walk around the lavish estate that surrounds the castle, comprising Monk’s Garden, White Border, Secret Garden and the Wood of Goodwill, and hear all about Highclere Castle’s role as the Grantham family home.
Enjoy free time for lunch or a snack in the onsite tea rooms that serves food from the castle’s kitchens, and then step inside Highclere Castle to explore each of its state rooms. See the dining, music and smoking rooms that the likes of Lady Sybil graced with their presence, and learn all about the real-life family who have owned Highclere Castle since the late 17th century: the Carnarvons.
After exploring further areas of the impressive filming site such as the Red Stairs, saloon, gallery and bedrooms, return to your minivan with your guide. Relax on the journey back to London, and then finish your day trip with a drop-off at the start point.
This tour is now sold out. Check back soon for additional dates.