- Private shore excursion from Marseille to Avignon
- Travel away from the Mediterranean through the beautiful Provencal countryside
- Take a guided walking tour of Avignon's UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic center
- Discover why Avignon is known as the City of Popes
- Visit the Pont Saint-Bénezet, Cathedral Notre-Dame des Doms and the Popes’ Palace
- Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
An excellent experience with a first class guide/art historian. We were able to avoid the lines and see the city and some of the important works such as " David"
Our tour guide, Jean-Francois, was phenomenal. He was personable and attended every aspect of the tour and offered great explanations of sites.
However, due to a discrepancy between Viator's listed duration and the actual duration of the tour, we lost an entire hour in Avignon, reducing the total time from 5 to 4. While this may not sound like much, it takes a little over an hour to get to Avignon from Marseilles which means you lose two and a half hours just in driving leaving only 2.5 in town. Because of the time discrepancy, this was reduced to 1.5 hours, which amounts to a loss of 40% of quality time.
I purchased Palace of the Popes tickets with audioguides beforehand (as suggested in the tour description) which was totally spoiled by running through as quickly as possible to make it back for an earlier return than expected. For such an expensive tour I expected the advertised time to be more accurate, and felt my money was better spent doing another tour.