Immerse yourself in the signature charm of Provence with a private tour of Marseille and Aix-en-Provence on this full-day shore excursion. Wander Aix’s chic Cours Mirabeau – a boulevard dotted with mansions, shops, bakeries and cafés – and tour Paul Cézanne’s final studio (additional expense). In Marseille, view main attractions like Notre-Dame de la Garde, the Abbey of St Victor and the Chateau d’If, featured in The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Private shore excursion in Marseille and Aix-en-Provence
- Explore Aix’s Old Town and walk down the elegant Cours Mirabeau boulevard
- Visit the Cézanne Studio to learn about the famous Post-Impressionist painter Paul Cézanne, a native of Aix
- See top Marseille attractions like Notre-Dame de la Garde and the Abbey of St. Victor with your guide
- Admire views of Château d’If, featured in Alexander Dumas’ novel The Count of Monte Cristo
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
Your private, full-day Marseille shore excursion begins with morning pickup from your cruise terminal. Meet your guide and board the air-conditioned minivan for a short ride to Aix-en-Provence through the charming Provençal countryside.
Your first stop is Cours Mirabeau, Aix’s chic central thoroughfare lined with 17th- and 18th-century mansions. Snap memorable photos of the rich architecture, ornate fountains and shade-speckled walkways as you make your way to Vieil Aix (Old Town). Wind through timeless streets and explore charming boutiques and squares. Afterwards, enjoy some independent exploring and perhaps visit the Atelier Paul Cézanne (own expense), Paul Cézanne’s final studio where the Aix-native created pieces like Les Grandes Baigneuses.
Next, return to Marseille for an exciting city tour. Wind through the colorful streets of France’s oldest city. From your seat, admire the gorgeous Notre-Dame de la Garde, a Neo-Byzantine Catholic basilica that rises from Marseille’s highest point. From this vantage point, catch sweeping views of Marseille’s patchwork rooftops, the sparkling Mediterranean Sea and the gorgeous Chateau d’If, the island fortress featured in The Count of Monte Cristo. Stop by the centuries-old and storied Abbey of St Victor before returning to port.
Your 7-hour tour ends with drop-off at your cruise terminal.