- Evening tour to Phillip Island to watch the little penguins return home for the night, from Melbourne
- Drive through Melbourne and scenic countryside on the outskirts of the city
- Visit the Phillip Island Visitor Information Centre to learn about local wildlife, including a large fur seal colony just offshore
- Get great viewing opportunities to watch the little penguins as they come home for the night
- Spot migratory birds including shearwaters or muttonbirds
- Hear informative commentary from your friendly and knowledgeable guide
- Includes pickup and drop off at select Melbourne hotels
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Drive through the fishing village of San Remo as you cross the only bridge onto Phillip Island, stopping at the excellent Phillip Island Visitor Information Centre. Browse exhibits about Phillip Island's abundant wildlife, which includes koalas, fur seals, mutton birds and other migratory birds in addition to tonight’s star attraction, the little penguins.
Little penguins are the smallest penguin species, and the fact that the world’s largest colony of them can be easily visited at Phillip Island makes this a don’t-miss opportunity! Penguin experts estimate that as many as 32,000 little penguins live on Phillip Island. During your visit, learn about conservation issues involved in protecting Phillip Island's wildlife. Revenue from ticket sales gets invested back into research, environmental protections, and education projects to ensure that the penguins and other wildlife flourish.
As the sun sets, head to the beach where you have a choice of the basic seating option on stands with tiered seating or choose the upgrade (details below) for prime penguin viewing. Watch hundreds of little penguins emerge from the sea and waddle along the sand to their burrows, where they feed their young with their day's catch of anchovies and pilchards.
Be sure to bring warm clothes as the ocean air can get cold at night. At the end of the penguin viewing, your coach returns you to Melbourne (about a 90-minute drive) to end your tour, with drop off at select Melbourne hotels.
Penguin Plus Viewing Platform
Upgrade your tour to include all of the above while viewing the penguins from even closer quarters for optimal viewing, accompanied by informative commentary from an expert wildlife ranger. Wooden seating and boardwalks provide excellent sight lines, with a maximum of 150 people permitted in the area.