- Full-day tour to the Dandenong Ranges, Puffing Billy Steam Train, and Yarra Valley, from Melbourne
- Have morning tea in the picturesque Dandenongs and hand-feed colorful wild native birds
- Ride Australia's oldest steam train, the Puffing Billy Steam Train, through the rainforest in the Dandenongs
- Take in the beauty of the Dandenong Ranges
- Taste a variety of wines at three wineries with views overlooking and Yarra Valley and rolling hills
- Savor a 2-course lunch at Rochford Winery accompanied by premium wine (if option selected)
- Learn about the regions you visit with expert commentary from your friendly guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
The scenic ride on the quaint steam train, combined with wine tastings, make for a relaxing day in the Melbourne countryside.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Yering FarmPhoto by: Flashman
- Dominique PortetPhoto by: Flashman
- Puffing BillyPhoto by: Flashman
- Steam train ridePhoto by: Tommy Yeo
Singapore, 08 2015
- Twyla John BurtPhoto by: Twyla B
- vinesPhoto by: Aurora L
- pulling usPhoto by: Aurora L
- chug chug chug!Photo by: Aurora L
- kooka!Photo by: Aurora L
- GrantsPhoto by: Aurora L
- lamington!Photo by: Aurora L
- morning tea stopPhoto by: Aurora L
- Dandenong rangePhoto by: irise
- Wine TastingPhoto by: irise
- Memorable experience with ...Photo by: irise
- Yarra Valley beautyPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- CheersPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- DeliciousPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- CheersPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- Puffing BillyPhoto by: Gena L H
What You Can Expect
After a 25-mile (40-km) drive to the Dandenong Ranges, stop at Grants Reserve mountain café for a midmorning Aussie ‘billy’ tea complete with Vegemite and lamington cake. Feed and observe some of the native bird species that flutter about, including cockatoos and crimson rosellas.
At the neighboring outpost of Belgrave, climb aboard the well-preserved Puffing Billy steam train — the oldest in Australia. Enjoy fresh mountain air as you chug along through the lovely Sherbrooke Forest toward Menzies Creek.
After your historic ride, hop back on the modern coach for a 1-hour drive to the Yarra Valley — Victoria’s beloved wine region. Stop at the beautiful Rochford Winery where you can enjoy an optional two-course lunch with wine pairing or purchase a meal at the on-site café. Visit three other charming wineries for cellar door tastings of the Yarra Valley’s cool-climate varietals, including chardonnay, pinot gris, pinot noir and shiraz.
- Beef cheek with garlic mashed potatoes and greens OR
- Salmon with a salad of fennel, orange and pea shoots OR
- Wild mushroom risotto with spinach OR
- Chicken breast with bacon & onion potato bake and wilted spinach
- Chef's selection of fresh baked cakes
- Coffee or tea
7:10am Adara East Apartments
7:25am Adina Grand Apartments
7:10am Atlantis Hotel
6:50am Bayside Eden
6:50am Bayview on the Park
6:50am Como Hotel
7:20am Crown Metropol
7:15am Crown Promenade
7:20am Crown Towers
7:25am Crowne Plaza
7:05am Downtowner on Lygon
7:00am Hilton Southwharf
7:20am Holiday Inn Flinders
7:25am Hotel Sofia
7:30am Ibis Hotel Therry Street
7:25am Ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
7:35am Intercontinental Hotel The Rialto
7:25am Kings Street Backpackers
7:10am Langham Hotel
7:10am Magnolia Court
7:05am Mantra on Jolimont
7:35am Mantra on Russell
7:20am Mantra on the Park
7:30am Marriott Hotel
7:15am Melbourne Short Stay Apartments
7:30am Mercure Grand on Swanston
6:55am Mercure Pullman Albert Park
7:15am Mercure Treasury Gardens
7:30am Mercure Welcome Hotel
7:10am Miami Hotel
6:40am Novotel Bayside
7:30am Novotel Collins
7:20am Oaks on Market
7:25am Park Hyatt
7:15am Pullman on the Park
7:15am Radisson Flagstaff
7:40am Rendezvous Hotel
7:00am Rydges Carlton
7:20am Rydges Melbourne
7:00am Seasons Botanical
7:15am Sofitel Hotel
7:25am Stamford Plaza
7:05am Travelodge Docklands
7:05am Travel Inn Carlton
7:15am Vibe Savoy
7:10am Westin Hotel
7:15am Windsor Hotel
The rotten weather could not spoil our day out here. We loved feeding the wild parrots at our morning coffee stop. The little train was great and went through lovely temperate rain forest. We enjoyed our wine tasting, and eded up at a chocolate factory. Very enjoyable
We had an excellent day with this tour. Our tour guide was very friendly and informative and made us feel very welcome to Melbourne and it was a very memorable day. The way that we were introduced to the wineries from the bigger one to the small family one was a very clever way of showing us the production of wine in the Yarra Valley and how different they all taste. The Puffing Billy Steam train was a wonderful experience. Every experience on the day was done with utmost professionalism and very informative. Visiting the park and seeing the birds and feeding them, was an incredible experience. It was also lovely to be able to sit in the lovely cafe and have our tea and lamington in a relaxed atmosphere with incredible views, rather than the other tour group where they just had a table set up with some lamingtons in a packet and tea in a polystyrene cup outside. Overall we highly recommend this tour if you want excellent organisation and comfortable surroundings/travel combined with wonderful experiences. Thank you!
This was a great tour. Everything went to plan, although the start time was later than advised.
Amazing day. Our tour guide was great
A great day out with a great guide.
BEAUTIFUL countryside, fantastic tour guide, stupid jerks throwing debris from an overpass that hit the bus' windshield. Nonetheless, a marvelous day in the Melbourne wine country!
A fantastic day! The ride on the Puffing Billy steam train was a lot of fun and the visit to the wineries was relaxing. Lunch was delicious. Our bus driver/guide, Adrian, was extremely helpful and shared a wealth of knowledge about the areas we visited.
A nice trip to see a historic train, plus you get out into the country away from the city of Melbourne. We visited three wineries, each of different sizes. At one we had an optional lunch, which was very good.The train ride was so nice I would like to have had a longer one!
Can't praise this tour enough. Very professional. Excellent driver/ guide - entertaining and informative. Comfortable coach. Pleasant morning tea and excellent lunch at the Rochford Winery . Enjoyed the ride on Puffing Billy and the wine tasting was excellent.
Brilliant day - weather and experience wise. The driver was extremely patient with the inevitable strangler couple and certainly made my day by providing a crepe bandage after I sprained my ankle before even getting onto the bus to the starting point!! The lunch was certainly one of the nicest we experienced over our time in Melbourne. Great choice of vineyards to visit. And the ice cream at the chocolate factory?? YUM!!!