- 2-hour walking tour of Cimitero Monumentale (Milan Monumental Cemetery)
- Explore the Temple of Fame memorial chapel -- known as Famedio
- See the tombs of Italian novelist Alessandro Manzoni and 20th-century poet Salvatore Quasimodo
- Stroll around the main cemetery admiring Art Nouveau sculptures and architecture
- Round-trip transport from central Milan to the cemetery by coach
What You Can Expect
Enter the cemetery through the Temple of Fame (Famedio) – a large Romanesque memorial chapel made almost entirely of marble – and see tombs of the country’s most illustrious citizens like the poet Salvatore Quasimodo and novelist Alessandro Manzoni, author of The Betrothed.
Head through to the main cemetery with your guide, passing bronze and marble statues, stunning mausoleums and tombstones with poetic inscriptions. Your guide will point out graves of famous Italian actors, philosophers, politicians and musicians, while explaining the Italian artistic styles throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Most of the art and architecture in the cemetery reflects the Art Nouveau period, and the extravagant graves are said to be the result of one-upmanship between wealthy Milanese families who wanted to make grand gestures of love for their deceased relatives.
After two hours of exploring the grounds and soaking up the peaceful ambiance and artwork, head back to the coach and return to the start point where your tour ends.