Read what other Viator.com travelers think about the Big Bus Muscat Hop-On Hop-Off Tour. What they loved, what they liked and what they think could be improved, it's all here to help you make the most of your next trip.
This tour gives you a great overview of Muscat. This is helpful for planning activities and decide where you want to spend more time.
I loved this tour - I enjoyed the freedom of planning my own day and sitting atop the bus with a warm breeze in my face and my eyes fixed on the sights and sounds of a Monday morning in Muscat. The guides were very helpful and advised me when and where to join the buses. They were punctual and comfortable and the commentary was informative. I joined at Jawharat al shatti. (stop 3) - a good place to catch a coffee and watch the early morning beach activity before heading off. I did the round trip listening to the commentary, without getting off and returned to stop 3 for lunch; then i re-joined the bus and really enjoyed the second run without commentary and just took it all in. This time I got off in time to join the 3pm walking tour in the Al Alam Palace district - this was very interesting (albeit quite hot at that time of day) and the guide really knew his stuff and did a good job. Highly recommend the freedom of this tour.
It was very good. The young people working there were very helpful and everything went perfect. Thanks Pia Clemens
Very informative tour and a good way to see the very extensive city. It is much larger than you anticipate. By the end of the 24 hours we were quite familiar with all the sites. There is an additional free bus tour out to the mosque which is well worth it, a taxi can cost almost £40 depending on where you are stopping. Plan your hotel so you are close to a bus stop to save money.
Absolutely the best way to see all of Muscat. Very clean buses and very clear descriptions of all of Muscat.
It was really, really good. The sights in Muscat are quite dispersed but the bus journey takes you directly to the best bits. The walking tour around the old town was excellent and the general recorded guide was informative and very interesting. Loved it, will consider going on other Big Bus tours in other parts of the region. Just one point, it's worth booking a hotel near the drop-off points as there is only bus per hour.
booked through Viator since it is cheaper than booking directly. we went on a low season, height of summer, so we were the only ones in the bus. we didn't hop off anymore as it was too hot and the next bus would come around after 2 hours. i think this is the only way to see Muscat in a day with the commentary as a guide. overall, i would say at this time, there are no tour companies offering much so this is the way to go. i have researched with several companies and it seems all they offer are private tours. the assistance in the bus was impeccable with the Filipino agents being so friendly. water is given for free.
This tour was very enjoyable. The information on the audio was informative and current.
It was great! well worth it! only downside would be that the bus was late to start with, but I guess this is down to traffic and was stopping/picking up every hour, not every 30min. but if you can deal with this it was very, very nice!
We only saw one of the three sites that were recommended for us to see. We walked around the Sultan's home in Muscat, which was fantastic, but did not get to see the Opera House or the Grand Mosque. Without those two sites, I did not feel the tour was as good as it could have been. Overall the staff was very helpful and registration was easy at the site. The recordings were interesting as well.
1. Free bottled water on the bus
2. Buses are clean, and the audio tour is informative.
3. Nice views of the city from the 2nd floor.
Cons: Many.Not what is advertised. The description is wrong on numerous occasions, and so this was not what I expected when I paid for it.
1. It makes it seem like the buses come regularly to all of the stops. However, regularly for them means every 2 hours, and since it is only open effectively from 9am to 5pm, you can't really see all of the sites properly unless you take another mode of transportation.
2. Also, they say there is a 3pm free tour. However, when I got there, there was no tour. I even asked the bus driver and he just told me to wait there till 3pm, and no one from the company came for the tour. Wasted a lot of time and effort trying to find this tour, which did not take place.
3. Description says that there is a free shuttle service to the Mosque. That is apparently outdated information, according to the Big bus employee. Need to take a taxi, which ran me 15 reales 39 roundtrip.
4. Only 10 stops in actuality, not 11.
5. They say they accept E-Voucher, but they actually do not. They told me I have to email the voucher to their email address in order to make it work, or print it out. In a foreign country where mobile data for my plan ran me 15/mb, it did not make sense for me to send an email. Luckily, I was able to convince the guy to just take my ticket info this time.
Overall, it was lacking, and misleading in its description.
I was extremely disappointed. I bought a 48hr ticket, which turned out to be a waste of money. the distance from the bus stops to the 'attractions' was often too far and also "because it was quiet" I was told in unfriendly terms that the tour was 2hrly not every hour as stated, therefore often too long for some stops.
I have used Hop on Off many times before in different locations and this was definitely my worst experience.
the driver had very little local knowledge and his English was not sufficient-remember most international travellers speak English, even if it is not their native tongue.