- Full-day Nizwa shore excursion from Muscat with a private guide
- Travel southwest through the impressive Hajar Mountains
- Admire 17th-century Nizwa Fort and learn about Sultan bin Saif al-Yaruba
- Walk around Nizwa Souk and browse Bedouin silverware and antiques
- Pass an enchanting fortresses at Bahla and visit Jabrin Castle
- Enjoy personalized attention from a private guide
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
Then, admire the views as you travel south through rural Oman, following the line of the craggy Hajar Mountains past sleepy villages and agricultural plots.
Pass the palm oases of Fanjah and Birkat Al Mauz, and after roughly two hours, arrive in Nizwa. Hear how the town was once Oman’s capital and enjoyed historical importance for its location on the main route between Muscat and Dhofar to the south.
Head for Nizwa Fort, the splendidly restored, 17th-century fort that looms over the town. Go inside to explore the towers and courtyards, and take in the far-reaching views of palm groves from the battlements as your guide explains how the fort was built for Sultan bin Saif al-Yaruba of the Ya’aruba dynasty.
Having explored here, delve into Nizwa souk, where the vendors sell a dizzying array of rugs, pottery, silver and antique jewelry.
Browse for souvenirs (own expense) and, after free time to stroll around and have lunch (own expense), reconvene with your guide.
Continue via the oasis village of Tanuf and pottery town of Bahla to Jabrin, home to one of Oman’s most beautiful forts.
Take a tour with your guide to see the famous ceiling paintings, and with luck, stumble across the fort’s secret rooms.
Absorb the stunning mountain views from the turrets and then finish your tour at Muscat cruise port.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to Muscat port on this activity. In the very rare event your ship has left, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed on arrival in Muscat and you are unable to join your tour, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.