- Full-day Pompeii and Herculaneum excursion from Naples
- Tour the UNESCO-listed ruins of Pompeii with a guide
- Learn about Mount Vesuvius’ AD 79 eruption that buried many of Campania’s towns for centuries
- Visit a coral and cameo factory, and then enjoy lunch in Ristorante Vesuvio
- Travel to Ercolano and explore the ruins of Herculaneum at leisure, seeing monuments, fossils and mosaics
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
After entering the site at your own expense, hear about the history of Pompeii on a walking tour of its ruins, and learn little-known tales about the people who perished in the ancient town. See fascinating excavations of monuments like the Forum and Teatro Grande – a colossal 5,000-seat theater.
After your tour, hop back on board your coach and travel to a family-owned cameo and corals factory to see carved coral jewelry being made. Watch craftsmen in work, and then visit the factory’s shop where you can browse for gifts to take home, if you wish. Stop for lunch in the nearby 18th-century Ristorante Vesuvio – designed in authentic Pompeiana style, and then hop back aboard your coach and travel the short distance north to the fishing town of Ercolana to visit the ruins of Herculaneum – another ancient town that fell ‘victim’ to Mount Vesuvius’ AD 79 eruption.
Unfairly overshadowed by Pompeii in the fame stakes, Herculaneum actually boasts a wealth of archeological treasures to rival its better-known neighbor, and many visitors find the ruins a lot easier to navigate. After entering at your own expense, explore at leisure, seeing incredibly preserved monuments – many complete with original mosaics -- as well as poignant fossils of the villagers in their terrifying final moments.
Return to your coach at the pre-arranged time and continue your journey north to Naples. Your tour finishes in central Naples in the late afternoon.