- Half-day private shore excursion to Pompeii from Salerno
- Explore the ancient Roman city of Pompeii, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and learn about the famous Mt Vesuvius volcanic eruption
- See fascinating places such as the Forum, the Thermal Baths and the Lupanare brothel with your expert guide
- Private tour ensures a personalized experience, with flexibility to explore at your own pace
- Port pickup and drop-off included
- Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Learn about what happened on a fateful summer's day in 79 AD, when Mt Vesuvius erupted, spewing volcanic ash and destroying the entire Roman city of Pompeii. Unaware of the imminent danger, most of the nearly 20,000 inhabitants were buried under the ash and pumice.
Almost 2,000 years later, you can explore the site of this tragic event and see the remarkable preservation of buildings, art and architecture throughout the city. During your private tour of the ruins, you'll discover why this UNESCO World Heritage Site continues to fascinate so many visitors every year.
After a typical Italian lunch (own expense) in a charming restaurant, you'll see intriguing places such as the Forum, which was once the center of Pompeii’s political and social life; the Thermal Baths, the city's ancient public baths; and the Lupanare, the city’s former official brothel that was used by many traders from surrounding towns.
Before returning to Salerno, admire the House of Vetti, a remarkably well-preserved house excavated from the eruption featuring beautiful frescoes. Then, relax on the scenic drive back to the Salerno port.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Salerno port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.