- Nassau food and rum-tasting shore excursion
- Enjoy a walking tour through downtown Nassau with a knowledgeable guide
- Fill up on rum cocktails, rum-infused chocolate, conch and lobster fritters, and a Bahamian guava dessert
- Check out interesting local businesses like Hillside House and Graycliff Chocolatier
- Learn about fermentation, barrel aging and other facets of rum making at John Watling’s Distillery
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures you enjoy a more personalized experience
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
Following your guide, walk through downtown Nassau to three more local businesses, where you can chat with staff as you enjoy rum cocktails, savory snacks and delectable, boozy treats. Bite into warm conch fritters — a Bahamian specialty — and satisfy your sweet tooth with rum-infused chocolate and a Bahamian dessert made from guava, a tropical fruit.
While you go off the beaten path with your guide, listen to madcap stories about the island’s pirate and rum-running history. Walk by historical buildings, and hear how they once played a role in the profiteering business as storage space for liquor about to be transported across the ocean.
Fittingly, your shore excursion ends at John Watling’s Distillery, located at the Buena Vista Estate. Learn about the rum-making process, from fermentation of sugar cane to aging in white-oak barrels, and hear about the mysteries surrounding 17th-century pirate John Watling, for whom the distillery is named.
Tastings include (subject to change):
- 6 rum tastings
- 2 cocktails
- Bites of Bahamian conch and lobster fritters
- Rum-infused white chocolate
- Caramel truffle shot
- Guava duff (a Bahamian dessert made with fruit wrapped in dough)
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your excursion ends with ample time for you to return to the Nassau port for your ship’s departure. In the extremely unlikely event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
My husband and I saw this trip rated on Trip Advisor and thought it would be a great way to see different points of interest in Nassau during our cruise and of course drink rum. We were very impressed with Orchid and had an amazing time walking through the downtown area. She is an excellent tour guide and has an obvious passion and love for sharing her island. Would definitely take more tours through this company.
Our tour guide was EXCELLENT! She was very knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. She found each of us at the starting location and offered to take us back to that location if we wanted, even though the ending location was at the distillery. The tour included a lot of historical information and a few of the local sites. Not recommended for someone with mobility issues, but you do NOT have to be in good shape to take this tour and enjoy it. The tastings, cocktails, and candies were all great and fun to learn about.
The tour was amazing! We would definitely recommend taking this tour
Amazing. We really enjoyed the tour and got to know the history of the island. Orchid was very knowledgeable and she gave very good information about the local area and people.
The tour was so much fun. We learned a lot about the island and our tour guide was the best!