- Guided walking tour of New York City slavery and Underground Railroad sites
- Trace the Underground Railroad with your local guide and learn about its role in freeing slaves
- Visit the site of Fort Amsterdam, the first settlement in colonial Manhattan
- See the NYC African-American Freedom Trail and visit the African Burial Ground Memorial
- See abolitionist homes and churches and hear stories about important abolitionist figures, including Frederick Douglass
What You Can Expect
Visit the former site of the American Cotton Exchange, which housed the offices of two prominent abolitionists who fought against slavery. See the structures the slaves built, such as Collins Wall and Fort Fincastle; hear stories of slaves who were brought over from Africa on merchant ships; and learn about the important role the slaves played in transforming American society.
Stop at Wall Street to see the location of the first slave market in New York, and pass a former key location on the Underground Railroad where slaves hid while escaping to free states with the help of the abolitionists. At the African Burial Ground, considered one of the most important archaeological finds of the past century, view various historical artifacts and visit the African Burial Ground Monument.
Finally, walk to the former site of the first African-American church in New York, which was also a stop on the Underground Railroad. Nearby, see the still-standing home of one of the most influential anti-slavery activists in New York history, David Ruggles, who provided shelter on the Underground Railroad to abolitionist and former escaped slave Frederick Douglass.
Extremely interesting. I learnt a great deal about the history of 'New Amsterdam'. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in this topic. The guide really knew his topic and gave plenty of opportunity to ask questions. The walk was not particularly arduous and the guide didn't rush ahead or make it difficult to keep up. The museum visit was excellent.
Very interesting tour - lots of great information and knowledgeable guide