- Candlelit evening tour to 17th-century Vaux-le-Vicomte from Paris
- Enjoy a 3-course dinner with drinks at L'Ecureuil restaurant on the chateau grounds
- Listen to classical music, and learn about the château's history from an audio guide
- Visit the Carriage Museum
- Professional guide-interpreter included
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Rear of Chateau before ...Photo by: Erik G
- Strange guy locked in ...Photo by: Erik G
- Front of ChateauPhoto by: Erik G
- FireworksPhoto by: Louise S
- Palace by candlelightPhoto by: Louise S
- PARIS TRIP SEP TO OCT 2011 395Photo by: David B
- PARIS TRIP SEP TO OCT 2011 389Photo by: David B
- PARIS TRIP SEP TO OCT 2011 377Photo by: David B
- DSC00139Photo by: B. E. H
- Vaux-le-Vicomte GardensPhoto by: Anonymous
- Vaux-le-Vicomte Palace by ...Photo by: Anonymous
What You Can Expect
Located 34 miles (55 km) southeast of Paris, Vaux-le-Vicomte was built in the 1600s by the King of France’s finance minister, who ended up in jail for his extravagant residence. Subsequently, this baroque château inspired Louis XIV to be even more extravagant with his new Palace of Versailles. When you arrive with your guide, start with a visit to the Carriage Museum to see various horse-drawn vessels. Then head to one of the onsite restaurants for your 3-course candlelit dinner, which includes a glass of red or white wine, coffee and water. See below for a sample menu of dishes, prepared with seasonal French ingredients from local markets.
As the sun sets after dinner, you can explore the château and gardens independently, marveling at the romantic atmosphere created by 2,000 candles. Listen to your provided audio guide to hear about Vaux-le-Vicomte’s history and design. As you walk around the garden, recorded classical music plays to enhance the elegant scene. Finally, watch fireworks before being driven back to Paris, where your tour ends.
Starter (choice of one)
- Grilled scallops, salad with strawberry vinaigrette
- White asparagus soup, green asparagus, lavender vinaigrette
- Warm foie gras escalope, salad with berries and cinnamon
- Veal fillet, bacon cream, sautéed potatoes
- Grilles tuna steak, tomato and basil sauce, chutney of peppers and fresh tomatoes
- Duck filet, foie gras, balsamic vinegar sauce
- Strawberry mousse with basil and poppy and ice cream
- Grilled fruit plate (pineapple, banana, orange), spiced chocolate sauce, ice cream
- Ice cream selection
Everything was great except for the toilets! Squat toilets and no toilet paper after such an elegant evening caused dismay and hilarity. Mostly dismay.
This is a must before you visit the versailles, Dinner was romantic , the tour very informative and firework was amazing, highly recommended
I did not realize that all those lights shown in the photo are for lighted candles. A magical experience and definately a must do. The meal was just OK but the fire work display was great. You ate dinner in an area
separate from Chateau. Then you walked to the Chateau for a tour. The fire works were in the back side of chateau over the gardens. The second floor was closed but it did not matter. First floor the most spectacular. There might have been over 1000 light candles.
Perfect night. Food was great and candles and fireworks made it really special. Guide was just there to manage things and tours were on your own. And taking the van rather than a bus made a really civilized evening out of it!
excellent guide, lovely dinner outside on a warm evening, it was a bit of a long wait for the fireworks, but worth the wait, highly recommended
Good food, nice gardens and amazing fireworks show.
Excellent tour and related service. Well worth the cost.
The Palace and grounds were beautiful.
Our driver/tour guide picked us up on time at our hotel and was attentive and informative the entire trip.
My wife fell ill during the tour and the driver made a special effort to ensure she and I were comfortable, etc.
We had the driver pick us up at our hotel highly recommended as you don't get back until after midnight. He was a dream---so kind, considerate. Our dinner at the palace was lovely we opted for a bottle of champagne at an additional nominal charge. It was wonderful touring the candle-lit castle with few guests, but the best: our own, private, fireworks show! It was spectacular!!! I can't write enough about this experience. It was one of the best things we've ever done, and I can't recommend it enough!
Excellent, well organized tour. Plenty of independent time as well as tasty meal, chateau audio tour, candlelit walks and fireworks.
Such a special night for us!!! The grounds and the chateau are absolutely stunning!! We enjoyed the dinner. The staff at the dining room were very helpful and friendly and gave very good service. The night of our visit the weather was very wet and breezy, so we were not able to really walk around the grounds as much as we would have liked to. When we first saw all the candlelight throughout the gardens and the chateau it was rather breathtaking!!! The palace tour was very informative and helped us to appreciate the history of the building and the people that lived there. All very interesting!!! The fireworks were wonderful, a great way to end the evening. Our tour guide was great and seemed as excited as we were to spend the evening at the Vaux-le-Vicomte. We did appreciate the dropoff at our hotel at such a late time at night. I would highly recommend that others should enjoy this magical night!!!!