- Take part in a 1.5-hour match of Pétanque, a form of French boules, in Paris’ Dauphine Gardens
- Learn about the history of this popular French game from your friendly host
- Play boules as the French do -- with a glass of wine in your hand!
- Discuss strategy with your teammates and try to make a winning move known as faire un carreau
- Discover the complex rules of the game!
What You Can Expect
The game played is called Pétanque, a form of boules where metal balls are thrown from a standing circle toward a wooden ball called a cochonnet. The aim of the game is to knock your opponent’s ball out of the way. The most talented move is faire un carreau -- copying your leading opponent to take his or her place next to the cochonnet.
Similar to British lawn bowling, the popular game is played in towns and villages throughout France and is a sport dear to all French hearts – it’s enjoyed by all no matter how young or old.
In between throws, chat with your teammates and enjoy the game just as the French do – with a glass or two of wine (or a soft drink) and some nibbles. The game lasts roughly 1.5 hours, and you can chat with your host about the history and rules of the game if you wish!
Absolutely marvellous. This was the highlight of our trip to Paris. Paul was excellent and made the activity so much fun. Great afternoon learning to play as well as having a glass or two of wine. We thoroughly enjoyed this experience and would recommend it as a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Felt as though we were playing with a group of friends experiencing the French way of life.
Cannot rate this as our guide did not show up at the time or place we were given in the re-confirmation call our hotel made for us. Big disappointment.