- Day trip from Paris to WWI sites in Verdun and the greater regions of Meuse and Argonne
- Hear stories about the Battle of Verdun and Meuse-Argonne Offensive as you visit the actual battlefields
- Visit other famous WWI sites including Douaumont Ossuary, Fort of Douaumont and the Trench of Bayonets
- Pay your dues at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery and Memorial, the largest US cemetery in Europe
- Learn all about the history of WWI from your guide, who’ll answer any questions you have
- Small-group tour limited to 18 people ensures a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Even though the drive from Paris is over 3 hours, the site is immensely interesting with several stops of great importance to those interested in military history, particularly the first World War. There is no substitute for being on a battleground even after 100 years when little trace remains. The ground is hallowed and you easily can see trench works as well as shell fragments and imagine how devastated it all was after billions of shells were expended here. The cemeteries and ossuaries are a clear reminder of the cost. Our guide, Sebastian, was able to describe much of the strategy and tactics and mistakes made in this long battle as well as the larger war, too. I look forward to my Somme visit in a few days.
This was an excellent tour led by a guide, Sebastian, who had an academic speciality in military history. The French combat zone around Verdun was especially well done, as was the American combat area in the Meuse-Argonne region.