- 1.5-hour walking tour of the Opera Garnier in Paris
- See where some of the world’s most famous operas, like La Traviata, have taken place
- Walk through the Member’s Rotunda and see the statue of Prophetess Pythia by the Grand Escalier
- Hear how the building inspired the setting for The Phantom of the Opera musical and novel
- Prepare to be awestruck by elegance as you explore the lavish Opera Garnier auditorium
- Admire opulent chandeliers, mosaics, paintings and mirrors in the Grand Foyer
Recent Photos of this Tour
Meet your expert guide inside the Opera Garnier for your 1.5-hour walking tour around this beautiful Neo-Baroque building. Strolling through the sumptuous Member’s Rotunda, you’ll see the intricate floor mosaics and glamorous wall lights that enchanted privileged opera house guests in earlier days.
Continue to the main marble staircase, flanked by impressive bronze statues carved in the likeness of Greek gods like the Prophetess Pythia. As you walk, your guide will point out the most notable monuments while explaining the opera house’s intriguing history. Learn of world-famous operas that have been hosted here, including La Traviata, and hear how the building inspired the setting for Gaston Leroux’s novel and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical The Phantom of the Opera.
As you enter the massive auditorium, your breath will be taken away with the sight of its plush red velvet seats, alabaster cherubs and golf-leaf balcony embellishments. The stage is framed by an extravagant chandelier that glitters over all the activity in the auditorium below.
Wander through the lounges and the Grand Foyer, where audiences amble during intervals, and admire the richly decorated mosaic tiles, paintings and mirrors that were intended to resemble the gallery of a classic French chateau. Your tour normally finishes here, and you can continue exploring independently if you wish.
Reviewed by ANN U, May 2013
Our tour of the Opera Garnier was incredible! Our printed ticket got us immediate access and we were able to easily find the meeting place of our tour group. The guide was personable, very informative, and our group of about 15 people was to follow and hear him easily.
We were very pleased with this event and will definitely suggest this tour and Viator to all of our friends!
Reviewed by Stephen P, USA, May 2013
Wonderful look at this gorgeous building! Loved it!!!