- 2-hour walking tour of historic Fremantle
- Learn about the history and architecture of Fremantle, located just across the Swan River from Perth
- See well-preserved Edwardian and Victorian architecture as you walk through Fremantle's vibrant streets
- Visit the Fremantle Prison and Roundhouse for a glimpse into Fremantle’s history (at own expense)
- Check out the abundant cafes, shops and pubs along the Cappuccino Strip–a great spot for people-watching
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
After checking out Town Hall, you’ll follow your guide through narrow winding streets and hear amazing stories from colonial times in Australia. Fremantle was the the birthplace of the Swan River Colony, the British settlement that later became Western Australia (Australia’s largest state).
Enjoy a stop at the notorious Fremantle Prison, built in the 1850s by convict labor and in use until 1991. UNESCO added Fremantle Prison to its World Heritage list in recognition of its being the last and most intact of the British colonial prisons in Australia. Convict laborers built colonial buildings and worked in mining and agriculture, especially necessary when the early colony's population was sparse.
Take a guided tour (at own expense) and listen to your guide’s stories about Irish prisoner escapes, British bushrangers (escaped convicts with survival skills for the wild) and the expulsion of aboriginal people to Rottnest Island. You'll learn about Rottnest Island's importance during World War II and be able to spot it from the Roundhouse.
When you reach the Cappuccino Strip, you’ll stroll along the thriving streets, alive with cafes, art galleries, pubs, restaurants, music venues and funky shops.
Your walking tour ends at the Fremantle Roundhouse. Built in 1830, the Roundhouse is Western Australia's oldest building. Get a sense of this historic prison’s significance as your guide explains its role in the colony. From the top of the steps, you’ll be able to snap photos of the fantastic views over the harbor, ocean and colonial Fremantle.
The total distance walking is approximately 2 miles (3 km).
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your excursion ends with ample time for you to return to the Fremantle port for your ship’s departure. In the extremely unlikely event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.