- Mount St Helens outdoor adventure from Portland
- Head underground to Ape Cave - the largest continuous lava tube in the continental US
- Take amazing photos of the volcano’s steaming crater and glacier
- Enjoy nature walks and learn about the landscape and wildlife from your expert guide
- Lunch, all equipment and round-trip hotel transport by luxury van included
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Then, explore the visitor centers in and around the 'Blast Zone,' where the volcano erupted. Stopping to take scenic photos along the way, your naturalist guide will describe the impressive ongoing reforestation project and explain how well the surrounding ecosystem is recovering from the volcano’s massive 1980 eruption.
At midday, enjoy a local, organic lunch (see Itinerary section below for a sample menu). Then, head to the Johnston Ridge Observatory, just 5 miles (8 km) from the crater, to enjoy stunning views of the steaming volcano, the growing lava dome and the glacier.
Enjoy a nature walk here with your guide, who'll share the drama of the geological events surrounding the eruption. As you keep your eye out for wildlife, including deer, elk, beavers and birds, learn how volcanoes are monitored and how Mount St Helens has taught scientists new answers to old mysteries!
After your adventure, you'll be driven back to your Portland hotel in the evening.
Locally sourced roasted chicken breast
Quinoa or lentil salad
Organic green salad with local ingredients