Read what other Viator.com travelers think about the Oregon Coast Day Trip from Portland: Astoria and Cannon Beach. What they loved, what they liked and what they think could be improved, it's all here to help you make the most of your next trip.
The Oregon Coast is one of the most spectacular things I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. The views from Ecola State Park, Haystack Rock and the ending in Astoria. Words cannot do justice to how beautiful this part of the world is.
Good itinerary. Excellent guide Tom : knowledgable and entertaining.
Only suggestion would be to add some additional time at the Columbia River Museum.
Excellent tour guide Tom, was very knowledgeable of the area and interesting fun facts all around. Fun tour to see what Oregon has to offer outside of the city
This was an absolutely breathtaking look at the Oregon coast. Ron, was knowledgeable, friendly and an excellent guide. If you can only choose a few things to see while in Portland, this should be one of them.
knowledgeable/accommodating host. Comfortable ride. Would recommend.
This trip to Astoria and Cannon Beach was fantastic. Our tour guide Debbie was thoughtful and shared interesting facts and history about the region throughout the day. We had the right amount of time to enjoy the beautiful views, tour the shops and enjoy local restaurants. This trip is well worth the time and the ticket price.
Hotel pickup was spot on. The tour group was small and our guide, Michelle, was very accommodating and knowledgeable about the history and landscape of Oregon. The visit to Cannon Beach was perfect. We were able to spend time walking along the beach and view the Haystack rocks. Michelle took us up to Ecola State Park to get some nice views of Cannon Beach from afar at higher elevation. We also visited the Columbia Maritime Museum in Astoria to learn about the rich history of the Columbia River and its importance to the region. This tour will provide some of most beautiful views of the Pacific NW coast and I would recommend to anyone who has full day to explore outside Portland.
We enjoyed every minute of this tour. One couldn't ask for a better tour guide than Rick.
This tour was a great day trip from Portland. Loved seeing the beautiful Oregon Coast!
Very good Tour, Had a nice day on the coast and drive there and back was nice, Good amount of free time to explore Cannon Beach!!!
Not enough time at cannon beach, never made it to Haystack walk as was to far all we had wad a hr. to eat and see beach.we wanted to see it the most and missed it.
The tour was just ok. The scenery is beautiful however I was unable to hear the drivers explanations at all, he was to quite and air conditioning working as you understand. I would rate it 2 stars out of 5.
The trip itself was OK, but turned out to be about 11 hours (a very long day). A little disappointed in the scenery along the way and while at the coast. The only real scenic view was from Ecola state park. The town of Cannon Beach was lovely. The transportation provided by HUB tours, however, was totally inappropriate for a relaxing, sightseeing tour. 10 of us, including the driver, were crammed into a very uncomfortable 8 passenger van. The internal microphone stopped working 1/2 way thru the trip. We were totally exhausted by the end of the 11 plus hours. I would not recommend this trip to anyone until the van were replaced by a mini-coach or touring van.
1) We were crammed into a tattered old van. First thing I saw when I climbed into the van was the torn upholstery on the side of the front bench. This van may be the right size to transport people from a hotel to the airport, but not for spending 6 hours in, especially if there are 8 tour guests!
2) The driver was HORRIBLE!!! He would turn his head every time a guest would ask a question. This made the van swerve into the neighboring lane. He then jerked the steering wheel to bring us back into our lane. I learned quickly to not ask any questions for fear that we would end up in the ditch. On the way home he took the "scenic route". He sped down a curvy mountain road, at 70mph in a 55mph zone, IN THE RAIN! Suggestion: Have a responsible driver drive the van PLUS a guide with a microphone who does the talking. I'm sure the people in the rear didn't hear a word of what Steve was saying. As he didn't give us any information about the stops of our trip once he'd dropped us off, listening to him in the van was the only way to actually learn something on this tour.
3) Astoria was pretty much "the Gooneys house". I never saw the movie so that stop was worthless to me. Other than that we were just cruising around town with Steve pointing out Art Deco hotels - no idea what he was talking about. The restaurant we went to, "Baked Alaska, was expensive. A more affordable one would have been more appropriate.
4) Cannon Beach: More of the same. Steve dropped us off at the main shopping street and said: "See you in 30 minutes". I don't need a guide for that - a (safe) chauffeur would have been just fine.
5) When guiding a tour of 8 guests you have to make sure at the very start that you have cell phone numbers for all of them. We had to wait in Cannon Beach for 40 minutes for one guest to return to the van, because she misunderstood the time by which she had to be back. And Steve had no way of getting in touch with her.