- Private Columbia River Gorge day trip from Portland
- Admire views of waterfalls, desert landscapes and cliffs on several walks with a naturalist guide
- Learn about the Oregon Trail, Lewis and Clark, and Pacific Northwest tribal traditions at a local museum
- Round-trip hotel transport by luxury vehicle included
- This private tour ensures a more personalized experience
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
After time on the nature trails, you'll learn about regional history in The Dalles, a former trading center and the end of the Oregon Trail.
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
When you arrive, your naturalist guide leads your private party on a series of short walks to view some of the more than 90 gorgeous waterfalls here, including the second-tallest perennial waterfall in the US: Multnomah Falls. Enjoy morning tea and snacks as you admire the sights and ask your guide any questions you have.
Continue farther up the river to the town of Hood River, where breathtaking natural beauty and high winds create a paradise for windsurfers, kite boarders and sightseers.
You'll stop here for lunch (see below for a sample menu) and then continue driving east across the Cascade Divide, where the landscape changes suddenly and dramatically to high desert. Take out your provided binoculars and spot wildlife such as bald eagles soaring above the basalt cliffs and among the sagebrush and pine trees.
Finish your tour in the town of The Dalles, where you can visit one of two museums with your guide. At the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, learn how the early pioneers made their way west along the difficult and often deadly Oregon Trail. Hear stories about the American Indian tribes along the Columbia River and the treacherous journey of Lewis and Clark through this region in 1805.
- Local organic chicken
- Frittata or lasagna
- Selection of soups
- Selection of cold salads: pasta, corn, mixed greens, beets and other seasonal items