- Day trip to Fatima and Coimbra from Porto with an expert local guide
- Explore the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary in Fatima
- Visit the sanctuary’s basilica to attend mass
- Enjoy a walking tour of Coimbra, Portugal’s prestigious university city
- Hear the history of the Old Cathedral of Coimbra and admire its Romanesque architecture
What You Can Expect
A national shrine, the sanctuary is built on the spot where the first of six apparitions of the Virgin Mary were said to be witnessed by three shepherd children: Lúcia, Francisco and Jacinta. Their children’s tombs are within the sanctuary walls, as well as a beautiful Neoclassical church that’s dedicated to their memory. Head inside the church for mass (lasting roughly 30 minutes) and gaze in awe at the serene yet majestic surroundings while worshiping.
After the service, enjoy some free time to explore the city at leisure and enjoy lunch (own expense). Return to your coach at the pre-arranged time, and then travel to Coimbra – a historical town just less than an hour away. Stretch your legs on a walking tour around the city center, seeing its prestigious university and the Old Cathedral of Coimbra – a glorious example of Romanesque architecture that’s said to be the most important Roman Catholic building in Portugal.
Enjoy some free time to explore the city, perhaps visiting the University of Coimbra to see its famous old library. Entrance fees to all Coimbra attractions are at your own expense.
Make your way back to your coach and relax on your journey to Porto. Your tour finishes in the city center in the early evening.