- 3.5-hour Porto walking tour, led by an expert local guide
- See top Porto attractions in the city’s UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic center
- Learn about Porto’s Roman roots and hear about the Moorish and Castilian invasions
- Pose for photos in front of Porto Cathedral and then stroll along Aliados Avenue to see the monument to King Peter IV
- Admire the eye-catching Ponte de Dom Luis I – Porto’s iconic iron bridge
What You Can Expect
Hear how it originated as an outpost of the Roman Empire, growing to survive Moorish and Castilian invasions, before being largely destroyed by the French in the 19th century. See influences left by its different rulers as you walk around, admiring beautiful old palaces and Baroque churches.
See Porto Cathedral in all its Romanesque glory, and walk past the Church of Santa Clara – a gorgeous Baroque gem. Stroll along Aliados Avenue to see a monument to King Peter IV – a monarch held in high regard in Porto -- and soak up the bustling ambiance of Liberdade Square.
Alongside Porto’s historical sites, see some of the city’s more modern attractions like Ponte de Dom Luis I – a double-decker iron bridge that was engineered by an apprentice of Gustave Eiffel. Admire the classic Rabelo boats (flat-bottomed cargo vessels) lined up along the quay, and then walk past the Port cellars where the city’s famous fortified wine is aged and bottled.
After 3.5 hours of walking around town, continue on your own from Teixeira Square, where your tour finishes.
Always a great way to get orientated to a new city and to get a feel for the history
This tour was the highlight of our 5 weeks in Europe. Our tour leader Sid possessed an exceptional knowledge the city's history and culture, but it was his friendly and engaging manner that impressed us most. Porto is hilly, and we were concerned the tour might prove too exhausting. Not to worry. The route was cleverly planned and Sid allowed time for taking photographs and other stops along the way. If it were possible to award a tour more than five stars, this is the one.