- Day trip from Porto to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, and Viana do Castelo, Portugal
- Visit the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, where the pilgrim route St James Way ends
- See Compostela’s historic Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Enjoy free time in Santiago de Compostela to have lunch (own expense) and explore more at your own leisure
- Drive through the city center of Viana do Castelo and tour the Basilica of Santa Luzia Viana do Castelo
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Your guided visit reveals why this is one of the world's most famous cathedrals, filled with Romanesque sculptures, multi-tiered bell towers, porticoes, cloisters and portals. See and experience the highlights of the cathedral's breathtaking interior, including the lofty barrel-vaulted nave, the air thick with heady incense, the golden altar and the crypt housing St James’ remains.
Have free time to have a traditional lunch of octopus or seafood in Santiago (own expense) and explore Santiago's UNESCO World-Heritage-listed old town.
After your visit to Santiago de Compostela, get back in your air-conditioned coach and travel to the town of Viana do Castelo in northern Portugal. The town's pre-Roman citadel atop Mt Santa Luzia dates back to the Mesolithic era. Here, pay a visit to the Basilica of St Luzia, whose design was inspired by Montmartre's Sacre Coeur in Paris.
Take a drive through the city center before returning to Porto, where your day trip concludes.
Fabulous tour, Santiago is a must to go and see. Only criticism I would make is not long enough in Santiago, I would have preferred just to go to Santiago and not go to Viana. Viana is lovely but does not compare to Santiago de Compostela. We were lucky enough to attend the mass and see the enormous incense swinger, incredible. If you only have one trip from Porto, go to Santiago!