- 3.5-hour Punta Arenas shore excursion of Otway Sound Penguin Colony
- Stroll approximately one mile around the penguin sanctuary
- Watch Magellan penguins return from fishing expeditions in the sea
- Observe the penguins as they preen or care for their young
- Learn about the colony and the birds’ behavior from your local guide
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
As one of the country’s prime penguin breeding grounds, the island is an ideal place to observe the beautiful birds in their natural habitat. If visiting in October, see the penguins entering and exiting their burrows to lay eggs containing tiny chicks. Between January and February, the island is swarming with adorable penguin chicks covered in a fine dusting of grey feathers.
Follow your guide to a prime viewing point on the beach and watch the birds waddle across the shore on their return from the sea. Listen as interesting information is provided regarding their behavior and breeding habits.