- Milford Sound day trip from Queenstown by land, sea and air
- See Milford Sound and its incredible natural beauty from all angles
- Travel past Lake Wakatipu and the region’s alpine scenery, stopping for photo ops
- Enjoy a 2-hour cruise on the sound to see waterfalls and wildlife
- Take an exhilarating helicopter flight over the sound and Mt Tutoko
- Land briefly on Donne Glacier, if the weather permits
- Listen to interesting commentary throughout the day
What You Can Expect
Listen to commentary from your driver as you travel along the shores of Lake Wakatipu and through the rolling countryside to Te Anau, where you’ll take a break for morning tea (own expense). Then continue along Highway 94 — the ‘Milford Road’ — and admire its stunning alpine scenery, stopping along the way for photo ops and a short walk.
When you arrive at Milford Sound, board your 2-hour nature cruise — either the Milford Mariner or Milford Wanderer — which takes you along the whole length of the fiord to the Tasman Sea. Learn about the region's history, natural features and native wildlife as you are wowed by the sound’s famous beauty. See rainforest waterfalls, towering peaks and marine life like seals, dolphins and penguins, depending on the season. Sip provided tea and coffee, and purchase lunch at the onboard cafe when you get hungry (own expense).
After your cruise, hop on a shuttle bus for the short drive from the wharf to the airstrip, where the final and most exciting leg of your tour begins — a 40-minute helicopter flight from Milford Sound back to Queenstown. As you soar over Milford Sound — one of the most breathtaking experiences you’re sure to ever have — marvel at the aerial views of glaciers, rivers, lakes and rainforest. Fly over the fiord along Harrison Valley, over Mount Tutoko and on to the Wakatipu Basin. If the weather cooperates on the day of your tour, you may even get to enjoy a snow landing on Donne Glacier.
Upon your landing at the airport in Queenstown, your day trip ends with hotel drop-off.