- Day trip to Iceland’s Sólheimajökull Glacier
- Enjoy an adventurous glacier hike with your expert guide
- Admire the rugged, ever-changing ice formation and soak in picturesque views
- Try your hand at ice climbing, with all necessary safety equipment included
- Beginners are welcome as no ice-climbing experience is needed!
- Visit Skógafoss, one of Iceland's largest waterfalls
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Ice climbing on the ...Photo by: Matthew B
- Climbing the GlacierPhoto by: Daniel Š
- Glacial BeautyPhoto by: Kinita A
- ViewPhoto by: Drew F
- Ice wall climbPhoto by: Susan F
- By the ice wall climbPhoto by: Susan F
- walk up to the glacierPhoto by: Susan F
- looking down the glacierPhoto by: Casey G
- don't fal lin the crevasse!Photo by: Casey G
- I'm ready!Photo by: Casey G
- the terrainPhoto by: Casey G
- Solheimajokull GlacierPhoto by: Richard Z
- ice climbingPhoto by: Andrina O
- Ice Climbing!Photo by: Kristine Y
USA, 12 2013
- Prep for the ice wall climb!Photo by: David
- Sun GlacierPhoto by: Cheryl P
- climbing the ice wallPhoto by: Cheryl P
- ClimbingPhoto by: Daniel Š
- Høyt ned :-)Photo by: Unni Brit S
- Sólheimajokull GlacierPhoto by: KatieontheMap
USA, 12 2012
What You Can Expect
Great tour!! Great guides and phenomenal experience!
Knowledgeable and informative tour guide and driver. Great itinerary, once in a lifetime experience in glacier hiking and ice climbing. I would definitely recommend it
Arman is an excellent host, knowledgeable and personable. We would take this excursion again. This is the third time we have used Viator to book excursions. Every one has been excellent. When traveling again, we will definitely review tours offered by Viator to enhance our experiences.
This was not only a blast, but the clarity of the water, the colors, and nature's architecture made this experience the highlight out of many potential candidates of our time in Iceland. Don't let 38 degree fahrenheit temperatures stand between you and this excursion. The only part of our bodies that got cold our index fingers. Go figure. Although you're given a thermal onesie and a wet suit, I'd recommend wearing leggings and a warm shirt for an extra layer underneath the equipment. You and your clothes will not get wet. My daughter and I were the only ones to take the tour this day. Val, a certified diver who guides you on the snorkeling, and Sigrun, who drives you ALL OVER the Golden Circle, are wonderful. They are warm, engaging, and personable. Plus, they photograph the entire swim to prove to your family and friends you did it! I couldn't recommend this tour highly enough.
Excellent! The guides, who are very entertaining, know the glacier inside and out -- literally -- and oh, so patient. They did their best to give us the total experience. Don't be put off by the ash covering the glaciers. There's a fascinating explanation for it.
Tour guides were friendly and very knowledgeable of the glaciers.
Tour was awesome. Our guides were fun, personable and full of knowledge. The Glacier is incredible and having the opportunity to hike it was cool.
We booked via Viator and did the and #34;Blue Ice and #34; Glacier Hiking and Ice Climbing tour from Reykjavik, organised via Arctic Adventures. We booked before we travelled so selected our date.
We left from the office of Arctic Adventures (as it was so close to our apartment). We travelled ins group of 12 people via mini bus. 2.5hr drive, with one stop at a services.
Upon arrival we had the safety briefing and got jutted out with crampons, pick axe, safety helmet and harness.
Was a 15mins walk from car park to the glacier. We the split into two groups.
It was a VERY windy day and we were warned we may not even get on the glacier... But luckily we did! :)
Our group were second in line for the ice climb, so instead we started to hike up the glacier. We took it slowly due to the windy conditions. The views are indescribable and No photo will be able to do them justice. Breathtakingly beautiful.
Our guides tried a few routes, but we were only able to get very far / high, before having to turn back due to the weather.
Unfortunately this meant we were unable to do the ice climb (the other group did, but they stayed at ground level, so didn and #39;t get to see the views we did, so swings and roundabouts I suppose!)
Our guides were AMAZING! I am not at all fit, and although this wasn and #39;t a strenuous hike, there were some uneven areas and they were happy to assist me by taking my hand, especially when coming down slopes.
On the way down it was lovely to see lots of guides from other groups all working together to get groups down quickly as the wind was getting worryingly bad! So there is a real team spirit amongst them all :)
Would recommend this to anyone ~ such a fabulous sight, just wish we could have got higher, although to be honest I was glad to come down, as the weather was turning very quickly up there, so was pleased to get back on the ground!
This was EPIC! My husband and I had a great time. Our tour guides Linas and Ayver I hope I spelled that correct were hilarious and great at explaining directions and cautions the whole time. I would highly recommend this to all.
Highly recommended - great trip and great guide.